Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041N-A-K9 help in doing some basic setup

Hi,

I'm new with setting up CISCO AP, I'm used to GUI and that's what I'm using to set this AP. How my network set is :

ISP Modem/Router (disable radio and set it where DHCP start at 192.168.15) ----> CISCO SG300-28P (Set static IP, upgrade fimware) ----> CISCO 1041N AP (Set static IP, 12.4 firmware).

I have 50mbps down and 25mbps upload speed from ISP, when using their router radio...speedtest.net showed just exactly that...but when using the 1041, I get half of it. It also seems that the GUI is rather slow and stubborn, often it doesnt save settings I selected and rather confusing to use, as the express setup is nothing like "express", you need to go to many different setting to get the radio up. Like it wont allow me to use WPA encryption without RADIUS...I dont have any RADIUS server (I can set up RADIUS with my Synology NAS...but is it really neccesary?)

...also the DNS....DHCP is controlled by the ISP router.

Anyway my question :

1) I've been looking for tutorial to set this AP through GUI and mostly is in CLI...how do you enable WMM for one?

2) This AP doesnt seems to perform as well as the integrated radio, what is so special about this AP beside the CLI for advanced config?

3) I'm planning to use another bran AP in conjuction with this AP, planning to use the same SSID and password...do I need to set them using different channels? I have 2.4ghz phone also, which channels should I choose?

4) I set the AP with static IP, the router provide DHCP service....is there any setting where I should be disable the DHCP service on the AP?

My plan is to get a secure, fast and stable service...that is why I choose this setup...but it's been a time consuming just to set this AP to do basic stuff. The Ubiquiti AP I've set before, just took me 15-30 min to set....this?It's been 6-12 hours with medicore performance...

Everyone's tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 1041N-A-K9 help in doing some basic setup

For any Cisco access point that isn't really for home use, the CLI is how you should configure it. The GUI is confusing and not very good.

1) I've been looking for tutorial to set this AP through GUI and mostly is in CLI...how do you enable WMM for one?

Try this from the cli: dot11 qos mode wmm

2) This AP doesnt seems to perform as well as the integrated radio, what is so special about this AP beside the CLI for advanced config?

The CLI is how it should be done

3) I'm planning to use another bran AP in conjuction with this AP, planning to use the same SSID and password...do I need to set them using different channels? I have 2.4ghz phone also, which channels should I choose?

You should use desperate channels. On the 2.4ghz, you only should use 1, 6, or 11

4) I set the AP with static IP, the router provide DHCP service....is there any setting where I should be disable the DHCP service on the AP?

DHCP service should be disabled by default on the AP

Here is a link to setup WPA or WPA2 psk. This doesn't use a radius

http://networking-newbie.blogspot.com/2008/11/configuring-wpa-and-wpa2-on-cisco.html?m=1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, thanks for the answer...yea, I understand this AP is for enterprise environment, I guess I go overboard on my home network setup...hopefully it's giving me stable service. I'm able to set it with AES CCM and WPA2 PSK with Open authentication, or should I use Network EAP?

I'm learning CLI as we speak, will update how it goes. For the channels on 2.4 Ghz, GUI won’t allow me to select specific channel...(weird), I'm stuck with the default option of having it finding the best channel it can find.

1) What is the CLI command to set the 2.4ghz at channel 11? My understanding, you access CLI through PUTTY with console cable?

2) I'm learning about VLAN as well, my managed switch default on VLAN1, so I set the SSID on VLAN1 also (as native on the AP), would I want to set this way or no VLAN?

3) WMM seems to be enabled by default (based on the GUI settings in QOS-Advanced), how does this AP beam its radio? (horizontal or vertical) Should I put in on the ceiling or wall?

4) Datasheets stated it's max TX power is 20db, the mW it generated is 100 maximum, which pretty much what standard Home AP generate...but considering this is SOHO AP, will it be safe to sit below this for a long period of time?

Thanks again!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 1041N-A-K9 help in doing some basic setup

Network EAP requires a radius serve which is typically tied to active directory. I would stick with WPA2/AES per shared key.

1) What is the CLI command to set the 2.4ghz at channel 11?

config t
Interface dot11radio 0
channel 11

My understanding, you access CLI through PUTTY with console cable?

Yes you can

2) I'm learning about VLAN as well, my managed switch default on VLAN1, so I set the SSID on VLAN1 also (as native on the AP), would I want to set this way or no VLAN?

Unless you can route vlan's internally on your network, you have to stick with a single vlan.

3) WMM seems to be enabled by default (based on the GUI settings in QOS-Advanced), how does this AP beam its radio? (horizontal or vertical) Should I put in on the ceiling or wall?

The AP should be mounted horizontal. So either on the ceiling or leave it on your desk.

4) Datasheets stated it's max TX power is 20db, the mW it generated is 100 maximum, which pretty much what standard Home AP generate...but considering this is SOHO AP, will it be safe to sit below this for a long period of time?

I have 3 in my home office for my lab that is on all the time. I sit 2' away:). You can lower the power if you want, but it will reduce your coverage.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I'm still no where with the CLI atm, tried to upgrade the firmware through HTTP and the pop up just saying :

This window is polling the system for upgrade status
Current status is:

IDLE: Restart completed.

Copyright (c) 1992-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

-

Please wait...

The system is upgrading the software and restarting. This should take between 5 and 15 minutes depending on your network speed. Do not interrupt the upgrade or attempt to access other web pages on the AP during this process.

time elapsed

been leaving it all night....the firmware is not updated yet....am I doing something wrong? (disable radio, access the AP with IE and system software, upgrade...find the new firmware and hit install)

thanks...now I'm having issue with updating the firmware. Already download c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JA1...do I need to extract it? What type of file is the one I have to use? JA1?

Cisco Employee

Go to services:- QoS- admission control..

WiFi Multimedia (WMM)
Using the Admission Control check boxes, you can enable WMM on the access point's radio interface. When you enable admission control, clients associated to the access point must complete the WMM admission control procedure before they can use that access category.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1040/quick/guide/ap1040getstart.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps11203/data_sheet_c78-609338.pdf --- datasheet

Generally.. 1,6, 11 is best suitable channel but if you choose the default..also the it will select the best suitable channel automatically..

Go to Express setup:- select Static IP instead of DHCP IP..

1) I've been looking for tutorial to set this AP through GUI and mostly is in CLI...how do you enable WMM for one?--- http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c40b6.shtml

2) This AP doesnt seems to perform as well as the integrated radio, what is so special about this AP beside the CLI for advanced config?—

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c40b6.shtml

It should work if the security standard configured is same & SSID will be same.

No ip dhcp server

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content