Views
Helpful
Replies

1042 series polarisation question.

s.vosper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

The 1042 access point states in its datasheet that it is wall or ceiling mounted. In my experience as an installation engineer I have seen that by far and away the most popular method of installation is to mount them to the ceiling. The datasheet also notes that the polarisation is "Linear, Vertical". So my question is this: Which way does the AP have to be mounted for the polarisation to be vertical, on the ceiling or on the wall. Surely it can not be the same when the AP is mounted horizontally as when it is mounted vertically.

Secondly, does mounting the AP in one or other of these methods carry any disadvantage assuming the polarisation of the wave is changed.

Kind regards

Simon Vosper 

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can mount any ap horizontally or vertically.  The biggest concern is if you still have coverage.  If you had a site survey done for example and they had spec'd out the aps to be mounted on the ceiling and the installers mounted them on the wall, could this be a problem.  Well it can depending on the density. A post site survey can show you if you still have coverage or not.  Most of the time you want the ap to be mounted horizontal so if using external antennas, the antennas in a vertical position.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Thanks for the reply, yes I am aware that coverage patterns will change, but how will the polarisation of the signal be effected and what effect could this have on clients data or VoIP.

It really doesn't have any affect. I see these various mounting in a lot of different environments with no issues with Cisco VoIP, Vocera or Spectralink.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So does the polarisation have any bearing what so ever on how we install access points and antenna, is it completely irrelevent?

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

polarization really comes into play with bridging for the most part. If one is vertically polarized and the other is elliptically or circularly polarized they won't speak properly.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card