cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1130AG POE problem

scdladmin
Level 1
Level 1

1130AG AP, connected with Cat6 cable to Nortel 460-24T-PWR switch.

Switch is configured to supply up to 16W power to each port. I've tried 1130 in several ports and switch displays that it is delivering 4.5W to unit in any port I try.

1130 web admin page says that inline power source insufficient to enable radios. Documentation says that AP needs to draw 12.5W.

Both units are the default configs for POE, except I disabled POE on switch ports that don't need to use it.

Both sets of documentation claim that no other config is necessary. Supposedly, I should be able to connect it and it works, yet... it doesn't.

Anyone have this kind of setup that can tell me what needs changed?

TIA

Rick

8 Replies 8

matthiasgoodman
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that with the 1130AG you need to specify 802.11af or power injector, or pre-standard for it to function properly. Setting this depends on if you are using LWAPP or autonomous.

Matthias,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't have the power injector. The config is set as "power inline negotiation prestandard source" which is the only option available.

Rick

What version of firmware are you using?

Does your cable capable to carry PoE ? Tried another UTP cable ?

The prestandard part seems to be your problem. I googled your switch and it is an 802.11af switch. I am not exactly sure of the IOS command, as we use LWAPP. In LWAPP 802.11af is the default so nothing needs to be specified. It might be the same with the IOS version. Have you tried it with nothing set in the power setting? If that doesn't work there may be an option in the WEB config page.

IOS is version 12.3(8)JA

The only option in the IOS command is:

power inline negotiation [injector | prestandard] source

I've tried a couple of different cables, Cat5e and Cat6.

On the web admin page, there are two options for the power source - Negotiation or Pre-Standard Compatibility. When I set it to Negotiation, the display says "NOT YET DETECTED" although the switch still shows the unit drawing 4.5W of power. Setting to Pre-Standard Compatibility displays "LOW_POWER_CLASSIC_NO_INJECTOR_CONFIGURED" with the same power consumption on the switch.

Okay, I think I found the answer to this.

Connected to the 1130 console port and watched the bootup messages. The low power messages referenced our 7204VXR router on FastEthernet 0/0.1, saying that the injector couldn't be found or that the power inline injector command needed to be added to the interface.

Although the AP configuration already had the 'no cdp enable' command added, I changed the Dot11Radio0 interface by adding another 'no cdp enable' command.

Rebooted the AP and the radio enabled this time.

Thanks for all the responses.

Glad to see everything worked out for you and you found the problem before ordering other APs as mentioned in your other thread.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card