Views
Helpful
Replies

1131 AP and console access

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have just setup a wireless access point but seem unable to access it via the console port.When i boot it up i see the startup through the console session but seem unable to enter any commands, it just ignores them

Am i missing something obvious here?

ta

mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

1131AP's ship with an LWAPP image like 12.3.(7)JX which only allows Read-Only access via the Console port.This also applies to 1131's which have been converted from Autonomous to LWAPP. Have a look;

Access Points Converted to LWAPP Provide Read-Only Console Port

After you convert an access point to LWAPP mode, the console port provides read-only access to the unit.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00804fc3b6.html#wp154721

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.........

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

forgot to say i have tried multiple console cables, PC's and AP's all do the same out of the box.I have configured it using telnet and it works fine.

I'd vote for "Flow Control" being the problem.

Set it to "none" on the PC (no hardware, no software).

The PC may be waiting for the AP to give it a "go ahead" handshake and that is generally not supported on the console cables and / or console ports (though it *is* supported on modem adapters and the AUX port).

Good Luck

Scott

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

1131AP's ship with an LWAPP image like 12.3.(7)JX which only allows Read-Only access via the Console port.This also applies to 1131's which have been converted from Autonomous to LWAPP. Have a look;

Access Points Converted to LWAPP Provide Read-Only Console Port

After you convert an access point to LWAPP mode, the console port provides read-only access to the unit.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00804fc3b6.html#wp154721

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.........

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

check your console settings. should be 9600,none, 8, one, and make sure flowcontrol is turned off as well.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card