cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1140 Series AP - Centrally managed vs Standalone

paul.thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of existing 1140G Access points.

I now need to purchase a couple of new AP's to expand coverage and it makes sense to go with the latest N standard ones.

Currently I only have standalone models and at the moment I don't have the budget to purchase a management box to allow me to get centrally managed models.

On to my question:-

If I purchase 1140N standalone AP's now, can I convert the to centrally managed ones later? If yes, Any disadvantage in doing this?

Thanks in advance for advice/help.

2 Replies 2

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

yes you can convert from standalone to to centrally managed with out any problem , the only different between standalone and centrally managed is security and management methods

---

Posted by WebUser Saad Alnoaimy from Cisco Support Community App

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, if you buy IOS units, if you have a valid user ID from the Cisco.com website that allows you to downalod software you will be able to downalod the LWAPP image for the 1140 and convert the unit from IOS to LWAPP using the normail IOS procedure but instead of using an IOS image you use an LWAPP image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: