cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

1141N and 1142N Radios constantly going down

Hello,

My co-workers and I have been trying to diagnose a problem that recently started occuring on our AP1141N and AP1142N units.  I have found a handful of posts that talk about this issue, but none with a solid solution. It seems that as often as every 24 hours, the radio interfaces change state to down, for seemingly no reason. Once this occurs, the only way to bring the radio interface back up is to reboot the AP. As far as we know, this wasn't happening until recently, when we enabled the "N" speeds. Things were working correctly for a year or two while the APs were configured just for b/g operation. The following is the only seeminlg-relevant thing that shows up in the logs:

*Nov 12 00:53:02.508: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

*Nov 12 00:53:03.507: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

Some additional info:

- All of the APs are connected to PoE Cisco c2960 switches

- We have tried both hard-coded radio channels, and non hard-coded

- We have tried various ways setting power inline negotiation

- We are not using a WLC

- System Software Version:          12.4(21a)JA1

- Bootloader Version:          12.4(18a)JA3

I have attached output of sh run, sh log and sh controlers dot11Radio0. (Another oddiy - the line %DOT11-2-RESET_RADIO hasn't shown up in the other logs I have viewed after this issue occurs...)

Huge thanks in advance. Let me know if any other info would help.

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

- Bootloader Version:          12.4(18a)JA3

Try upgrading your bootloader to 12.4(23c)JA1.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply, but it has also recently happened on an AP1141N running the following:

System Software Version:      12.4(21a)JA1

Bootloader Version:               12.4(23c)JA

How likely is it that this is fixed in 12.4(23c)JA1 versus 12.4(23c)JA? Any other thoughts? I will upgrade regardless, but like I mentioned, I am sort of thinking this may be a config issue as it seemed to start happening after we made changes a short while ago...

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Thanks for the reply, but it has also recently happened on an AP1141N running the following:

Bootloader Version:               12.4(23c)JA

Again, try upgrading your bootloader to 12.4(23c)JA1.

Community Member

I'm sorry, I am having difficulty figuring out how to upgrade the bootloader. Would you be able to explain or point me to documentation on how to do this?

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 1141N and 1142N Radios constantly going down

Here is a document for an older ap but the process is the same. Just the filename would be different.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/200/fn23794.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Blue

I'm sorry, I am having difficulty figuring out how to upgrade the bootloader. Would you be able to explain or point me to documentation on how to do this?

copy tftp:///.bin bs:

Community Member

Well, sorry to dig this up again. This issue been happening on and off since my original post, but seems to be happening pretty steadily once again.  A couple of months ago, we deployed 36 AP1142N units to a building, and a random handful of them exhibit this exact issue each day. All of the APs are running IOS Version 12.4(21a)JA1 and bootloader 12.4(23c)JA3. Any other ideas on why this could be occuring?

Thanks again.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Either try a different code or maybe open up a TAC case.  They might have more info.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Hello, I was wondering if you ever found a solution for this? I work at a small company, where we have 4 of the 1141N's, and I have them configured with WDS (one of the AP's acts as the master....) but for some reason, 1 or 2 of them randomly have downed radio interfaces about every day or 2. It seems totally random. I have, like you, messed with channel settings, power settings, and every other thing I can think of, but cannot figure this one out. I even bought a new one since one was going down frequently. But they all go down. Randomly. FRUSTRATING!

Just wondering if you could impart any wisdom. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content