cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1141N speed after change to wpa2 and aes encrypt

john.wright
Level 3
Level 3

What speed can I reasonabbly expect after chanhing all my 1141N from wpa to wpa2 and aes-ccm encrypt?

I just changed all units and my consistent speed is 72Mb up from the 54Mb we use to get.

I was expecting 133 to 144.

running IOS 12.4(25d)JA1,

attached is our standard config

Any ideas?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

40 Mhz is only available for 802.11a

Thanks

NikhiL

View solution in original post

Yup... Sounds like it. Upgrade one and test first just o make sure the driver doesn't break the wireless.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Could very well be. Also take a peek at what NICs they have and the supplicant they are using.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

11 Replies 11

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

non bonding you will  get a max of 144. bond you will get a mox of 300.

What to expect is a loaded question. The further from the AP you will data shift, of course. If there is interference you will data shift. So many things can cause the PHY rate to adjust.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I guess we do have a lot of interference.  know that in my pre-testing I placed the unit on my desk and I always got 133 to 144.

I do note however that when the client first associates it reports 144Mb then it adjusts to 72Mb a few seconds later.

So I guess this is the best we are going to see.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

You also need to make sure WMM is enabled and you have configured 40mhz channel width. This can be done on either autonomous AP’s or WLC.

-Scott

Sorry... didn't see your config.  144mbps is th best you will get since you only have the 2.4ghz radio.  Try chaning channels, but like George mentioned, could be other RF sources.

-Scott

Scott

I looked at config and 40mhz is not even offered as an option.

40 Mhz is only available for 802.11a

Thanks

NikhiL

Scott

I found out after arriving at work this morning that people with windows 7 are getting 144 speed but folks with XP professional s3 like me are getting 72Mb. So must be drivers?

Yup... Sounds like it. Upgrade one and test first just o make sure the driver doesn't break the wireless.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Could very well be. Also take a peek at what NICs they have and the supplicant they are using.

Drivers are the deciding factor and maybe the card.

I fired up a Cisco Linksys USB N on a lenovo laptop and I got 144Mb.

I upgraded my wireless drivers to the latest drivers available for my centrino advanced-N 6200 AGN on my HP Probook 6450b but I still only get 72Mb.

Thanks for the comments and help.

If you are using the Intel supplicant try updating the supplicant as well.