Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 AP will not join Controller through a D-Link POE Switch

kboston
Level 1
Level 1

This is fun.

I'm trying to use 1142 APs with a 2504 Wireless Controller through a D-Link 48PT GBIT XSTACK SWITCH (DLI-DGS-3120-48PC/SI).  (I know.  Shame on me.  Couldn't help it.)

At any rate, the 1142 AP joins with the wireless controller ONLY when I attach it directly to the controller.  When connected directly to the controller the AP functions normally and all is well. 

When I attach it through the D-Link switch, the AP flashs green several times, indicating that it can't find the controller. 

I suspect that there's some setting on the D-Link switch that's preventing the AP from seeing the controller, but I have no idea what that might be. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

6 Replies 6

rdvorak
Level 1
Level 1

are you able to ping the AP from the controller or vice versa?

rdvorak

Unfortunately no, I can not ping the AP from the controller. 

Could you try connect a laptop to the port of the switch to see whether you'd ping the controller, just to make sure there is no general issue with the D-Link.

I'd also check the interface on the AP "sh int g0" to see whether the port is up/up and the speed and duplex settings - could be that auto isn't working and you need to set AP and switch to 1000 full manualy.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for working with me on this.  Here's an update.

I am not able to ping the AP either with the ping utility on the switch, nor with a laptop plugged into the switch.  I am able to ping the controller through the switch as well as access the management interface.

As for the interface on the AP I feel pretty certain that speed and duplex settings are correct as it functions perfectly when attached to one of the POE ports on the controller. 

Let me know what you think.

Ken

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would be looking at your Management interface.

Sounds like the link should be UN-TAGGED.

leolahoo,

Thanks for responding.  I appreciate it very much. 

I checked the management interface in the GUI on the controller (which is set to an internal IP address 10.1.1.20), but after doing that I am not sure what you mean by "the link should be untagged."

UPDATE:   I just saw on the main interface screen that the VLAN identifier for the management interface is marked as "UNTAGGED."

Also note the ping test results I sent to Ron above.

Any idea as to where to proceed from here?

Thanks very much.

Ken

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card