cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1240AG Clients Associate But Can't Communicate with Server

rwingraham
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, we just bought a new Aironet 1240AG and even though I've down a lot of basic route

setups on Cisco router, I'm stumped as to how make this work.

I've got an Aironet 1240 AG. I set the static Ip address on the BVI interface and went

through all of the web-based setup.

I just setup up the minimum 128bit WEP keys, the host name and that's about it.

But, even though people associate, they can't talk to the server hooked-up to the

FastEthernet interface.

All I want is to have two devices, with static IP addresses, associate through the 802.11g

interface of the 1240AG and be able to transfer data to/from the server that is attached to

the FastEthernet interface.

The Cisco docs are all over the place and I can't find just the minimum requirements to make

this setup work.

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

BTW, if I did want the wireless client to obtain DHCP addresses, wouldn't they also obtain

those from the DHCP server attached to the FastEthernet interface, after they associate?

Thanks,

Bob

4 Replies 4

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

One cause of this symptom is either the AP or the switch not being configured correctly for VLANS. The other possibility is your wep keys don't match, I usually put my WEP key in a notepad file and copy/paste it into the devices.

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I configured it with 128bit WEP but with *no* VLANs defined.

Do I need at least one VLAN configured for this to work?

I think the WEP keys are matching OK on the clients, because I can see them associated in the Associations web page, but they just can't ping anything through the bridge or connect anywhere.

Thanks again,

Bob

I'm running into a similar situation, however my client devices are DHCP. The devices associate and authenticate, get a correct DHCP address, et al, but cannot see any thing on the local network.

jwadleigh
Level 1
Level 1

If you just have an AP connected directly to a server, you should be connecting via a crossover cable. Are you using one instead of a straight-through?

You should not need VLAN's configured for this connectivity. Confirm that the subnet mask and default gateway is the same for both devices, and that the IP addresses are in the same subnet.

EX/

AP IP Address: 192.168.1.15

AP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

AP Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Server IP Address: 192.168.1.20

Server Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

AP Gateway: 192.168.1.1

If you're using a crossover cable, you should be able to ping the server from the AP and vice versa. If not, check the link lights on the server NIC and the AP ethernet port to see if they're on and green.

Hope this helps!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card