Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 AP - Bridge Mode

andrea.angius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have two buildings that are about 80 meters between them, in line of sight.

The point-to-point link will transfer from "building A" a file about 0.5 GB for every 30 minutes to a server in "building B". I thought to use two 1252 in bridge mode to take advantage of the N standard's data rate in this short range (1300 or 1400 for long range and only G standard) with the 2.4 GHz band.

1) Do you agree with me on the choice of the AP?

2) If so, what kind of antenna should I use to take advantage of MIMO, omni like "Rubber Duck" or directional Yagi and Patch?

3) I have seen these models to serve 2.4 GHz -> ANT24120 AIR-, AIR-ANT2410Y-R, AIR-ANT2506, AIR-ANT2460NP-R, which do you recommend?

4) I'd use all three antennas for MIMO, one or two would not be enough, and I would not have enough data rates, right?

5) I do not have PoE switch, is there any advantage of using Cisco power supply or the Power Injector like AIR-PWRINJ4, in terms of loss?

6) If I install the APs outside, there is some original housing from Cisco?

7) If I install the APs inside, a cable as CAB020LL-AIR-A would give a significant loss on the data rate?

Thanks for your support.

Regards

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Andrea,

the AP itself should be fine, the only thing is it goes End Of Sale 1/30/2012.

For the antenna, I would tend to want a patch, like AIR-ANT5160NP-R=, vs an omni, due to the distance you are needing to shoot the signal.  WIth that in mind, if you can use the 5GHz, you can then do a 40MHz channel, and get increased throughput, if you are using all three of leads on the above antenna.

There is an similar antenna for the 2.4GHz if you can't use 5.

The AP itself would need to go in an enclosure, I'd look at terrawave for one if you needed to mount the AP outside.  But, you should be able to mount the AP inside, and use the Low Latence LMR (CAB020LL), to extend the antennas outside the building, while leaving the AP protected.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Steve.  Look at the 1262 instead.  The 2460NP-R and the 5160NP-R will go well with the 1262.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card