cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1310 range

MichaelJPolley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a BR1310 mounted at a 25 ft height on a wooden building. It is connected to a 40 ft low loss Cisco cable and a ANT24120 12dBi Omni Antenna. The 1310 is set up as an access point. I can't seem to connect with a client (laptop or PDA) past 500 ft from the antenna with clear line of site. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Not sure what you are trying to do nut you are probably only connecting through the side lobes off the antenna the main lobe is probably still above your head a good distance at 400ft from the antenna if you antenna is 40-50ft above the ground.

Take a look at the spec sheet sheet at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/prod_installation_guide09186a0080148acf.html

the eplane is pattern reditinig to the sides of the antenna the Hplane is the radition pattern looking down at the top of the antenna.

the antenna gain is accomplished by compressing the vertical aspect of the radiation pattern for a Omni antenna.

if your clients are at ground level the antenna should probably be mounted only high enough for the fresnel zone to clear the ground for best operation.

Bill

hope this helps

Thanks. This appears to have been the problem. I lowered the antenna to 15 ft above ground and we have exceptional coverage in the yard. Now I have to lower the repeater that connects the AP to the building and all should be well.

thats great news

Enjoy

Bill

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Does the client receive beacons from the Access Point at that range?

If you're receiving beacons but can't associate, you could be suffering from a transmitter mismatch, ie - the AP is probably running at max EIRP - I'd bet that the NIC in your PC has a lower spec antenna and circuitry...

If you're not receiving beacons, than you may want to check the state of the RF cable / connectors, AND/OR antennae position.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card