Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bronze

2.5 ghz range, omni directional antenna

Hi everybody

Few days ago, I went for field exercise at a military post. The area was over 400 square miles.  I was very perplexed when I found  the two sites which are 2 miles away, connected via wireless link using omni directional antenna with clear line of sight.. These two sires were using 2.5 ghz range for communication.

My question here in my home . my poor linksystem router is also using2.5 ghz using omni directional antenna, but yet i don't get 2 miles range.

you might say you have a lot of stuff, i.e furniture etc in between your linksytem router and your pc. I don't even get half mile coverage.

You might say transmitted power might be the reason. but then we are using free licence frequency which means the maximum transmitted power allowed is same.

I am just curious as to why we are able to get 2 mile range with 2.5 ghz range in the field while we hardly get half mile in home using 802.11 compliant link system router using same frequency range.

Yet another observation.

An isp is providing wireless Internet using 2.5 ghz range.  This Isp has few omni directional antenna ; customers use directional antennas to connect to omni directional antenna.

Here again I noticed few things:

1) Even though  customers use directional antenna to connect to omni directional antenna, I don't see clear line of sight between the two i.e  trees, houses are in the middle but yet customers are still able to connect.

2) Customers who are more than one mile away, still able to connect to omni directional antenna using their directional antenna. Again same question why?

thanks and have a great weekend.

Everyone's tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 2.5 ghz range, omni directional antenna

Well just remember that indoor wireless is 2.4ghz and max 100mW. WiMAX is 2.5ghz on 40W. That's a big difference. Outdoor 2.4ghz can go up to 200mW on the 2.4ghz.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
3 REPLIES

Interesting info.... Well this is what I found as an explanation

http://www.wimax.com/wimax-technologies-standards/what-is-non-line-of-sight-nlos-does-wimax-possess-nlos-capability

-Scott
Bronze

2.5 ghz range, omni directional antenna

Thanks Scott.

Very interesting link.  WiMax system can be implemented using license or license free  frequencies. Lets compare two system:

wimax using 2.5 ghz range,omini direction antenna

802.11 wireless lan using 2.5ghz range, omni direction antenna.

With wimax( using 2.5 ghz range) we can have broader coverage area say 2 miles.

With 802.11 wlan ( using 2.5 ghz range) our coverage area is limited to say 300 meters.

How did we able to get larger coverage area with wimax using 2.5 hz range compare to 802.11 wlan using the same 2.5 ghz range ( keep in mind both use omni directional antennas though not of same characteristics i.e physical dimensions, antenna gain)

thanks and have a nice weekend

Well just remember that indoor wireless is 2.4ghz and max 100mW. WiMAX is 2.5ghz on 40W. That's a big difference. Outdoor 2.4ghz can go up to 200mW on the 2.4ghz.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content