cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 building wireless bridge general guidance question

will
Level 3
Level 3

hey guys, i'm working on a small business wireless deployment with some minimal requirements. haven't worked on a wifi project in a while and noticed the Cisco WAP lineup has evolved a great bit. So i have some general questions to get going in the right direction regarding which WAP to choose. generally here are the requirements:

1. need 2 building wifi bridge solution (external) to bridge building LAN infrastructure (Cisco switch based with traditional cat5e cabling)

2. line of site possible, building about 50m apart, substantial rogue wap signaling in the local area (its in a densely populated city location). minor leaves obstruction. building has windows facing each other on the second floor. can roof mount on 3rd floor as well.

3. support up to 8 vlans on the trunk to WAP's (each building LAN's containing up to 8 vlans to be bridged)

4. can mount device inernally or externally with specific antenna.

5. can power wap with PoE from the cisco switch or injector.

6. want traditional cisco ssh IOS access (dont want web-only mgmt options, as i think are offered in the small business device like wap561))

7. would 300Mbps or higher connectivity; autonomous WAP required.

8. Will require very good level of security to maintain LAN building bridged traffic

9. may like to prioritize one vlan for minimal voice traffic - simple qos config only giving vlan1 higher priority than the others.

10. low cost is an important factor in final equipment pick.

So far after minimal research, it seems like i could obtain a few 1600e's with some decent directional antennas routed to the outside.

Not looking for anyone to design this solution, but merely recommend current best practice models for this simple deployment.

thx in advance!

Will

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

50m isn't bad at all and you can go with any of the Cisco new generation access points or you can look at the 1532's with built in antennas or even use an external. At least these can be mounted outside and don't have to worry about an enclosure or LMR cable to extend the antenna leads to the AP.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1530-series/data_sheet_c78-728356.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Will,

The 1530's replaced the older 1300's and 1400's. You can backhaul on the 5ghz also. Throughout will vary depending on attenuation.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Removed

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card