cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2100 WLC help

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, i was tasked with moving two 2100 WLC from one switch to another. Before the move both switches saw 11 APs. supposedly they were configured if one 2100 fails the other takes over. Now i have moved both to a new switch and both are pingable and the config look identical however one of the 2100 controller stopped seeing the APs.

My question is should both WLC see the APs, also the master controller mode box is not checked for any of the WLC. Again both were seeing the APs now only one is. My experience with the 2100 is limited.

thanks for any help

paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only the WLC that has the AP should see them.  The WLC only sees the AP that are joined to them.

As for Master Controller Mode, that only comes to play if the AP do not have a Primary/Secondary WLC set.  And that setting does not survive a reboot.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only the WLC that has the AP should see them.  The WLC only sees the AP that are joined to them.

As for Master Controller Mode, that only comes to play if the AP do not have a Primary/Secondary WLC set.  And that setting does not survive a reboot.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Stephen,

1st thank for your reply but im a bit confused. We were seeing the APs listed on both controllers now we are seeing them  only on the primary controller and none on the secondary. Is this normal ?

p

yes, that is normal.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

thank you. i can confirm this now. thanks for your reply. changing one of the APs to the secondary controller will cause that AP to show up on that controller after a few minutes, so im assuming if controller 1 ever goes down they will automatically move to controller 2.

thanks again for confirming this for me.

p

actually i just only the order of the primary/secondary controller on one of the APs and that AP is now showing up on the controller that had no APs. So im assuming what im seeing is normal that only the primary will list the APs and the secondary only lists the APs when the primary if offline?

I wonder why both controller were listing the APs before, i wonder if they were not aware of each other before.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card