cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2106 APs and Ping

ibrydon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC 2106 with 4 lightweight WAPs directly connected to it. The 2106 has an 802.1q trunk to a layer 3 device. The WAPs are registered and work fine; however, although I can 'ping' the controller from the layer 3 device I can't ping any of the WAPs.

Is there a setting on the controller that is required to allow WAPs directly connected to it to be 'pinged'??

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So the LAP's are up and functional on the 2106, but you can't ping the LAP's from the L3 switch, but you can ping the LAP's from the WLC?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes the LAPs are up and functional but I cannot ping them from the WLC or anywhere else. Just one thing that may or may not not be relevant; the WAPs are on the same VLAN/subnet as the WLC management and AP management interfaces.

That setup is fine, but the port that the wlc is connected to is that configured for native vlan? Also is the management and ap-manager interface configured with a vlan tag of "0"?

-Scott

No, the management and AP management interfaces are not untagged they are assigned to VLAN 20.

I think you need this to be untagged for it to work. Just add the switchport mode trunk native vlan 20 to the trunk port.

-Scott

Not sure what you mean by that. The WLC is not connected to a Cisco switch. The connection is to a Checkpoint Edge Firewall. The port on the firewall is set to be an 802.1q trunk and is passing traffic from various other subnets apart from the subnet assigned to VLAN 20. The Edge does not have a concept of 'native VLAN'. If you use VLAN 1 on that device it tags it as VLAN 1 unlike Cisco.

Okay.... well the problem is that the wlc doesn't know VLAN tagging and that is why it is best practice to set the wlc to untagged per Cisco's doc. It does work, but you can't configure the switch port on the wlc for vlan 20. I think that is where the problem lies.

-Scott

Thanks for your help, I think you are right.

No problem... let me know if you get it to work.

-Scott

I spoke to TAC - they pointed me at bug fix CSCsj3229. Looks like there is a problem with directly connected WAPs to a 2106.

Is that the correct bug id? Looks like you are missing a digit.

-Scott

should be CSCsj33229

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card