Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2500 WLC - multicast / airplay - and more

I think one of my biggest issue is that I don't really know the exact concept and coniguration that goes into multicast..

This is a small network, I have a 3750X base-ip switch 15.2(1)E, which is my "core" so to speak, a few vlans with IP's and (static) routing enabled.

I have a 2504 WLC, version  7.4.100.0

with a couple 1602 and one 2602 A/C.

The WLC is linked with a trunk port, my management interface off of vlan 40, my two SSID's are both on vlan 7.

Everything is working fine, except Airplay (which I believe is a bonjour thing).

If I used a standalone A/P of any other brand, this works just fine, being a nice Layer 2 bridge I assume -  but if I connect to a WLC hosted SSID, things arent working well.

I have looked at the guide at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

(Multi-Multi, as it looks like my WLC does not support Uni, not selectable anyway).

it does state that I need a L3 Multicast router - which to me seems odd if the devices are all on the same L2 segment (subnet) ?

anyway, I dont think my 3750X has multicast routing feature - I do have a 3560, which does have multicast routing option (well, comman ip multicast-router exists), but I am not using this switch for any IP routing purposes - and I havent been able to find out anything about what the correct way of setting this up is - like a "local multicast routing for dummies" or something...   all I am trying to do is allow AirPlay between devices on the same subnet..

countless seacrhes and things tried, like enable broadcast on wlc, which I did, and it worked for a while then stopped..

does anyone have any direction on what I need/should configure to make this work properly?

(I do NOT use HREAP)

so, topology is

3750X (IP Router)

|

| - static routed vlans / access ports - one A/P off of here

|

| - Trunk to WLC2504

|

| - Trunk to 3560C - 2 A/P's off of here

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

You certainly don't need multicast routers to make an L2 system work with multicast.

1. Enable multicast on the WLC (Controller->Multicast-Enable globaly and you can also enable IGMP snooping).

2. Enable multicast group for the APs (Controller->General->AP Multicast group->239.1.1.1 or something of the similar address). This is to have APs with multicast clients join a multicast group and offload the backbone network a little bit.

This should do it.

If they don't try any multicast traffic generator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mc-mint/) between a source and destination.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 2500 WLC - multicast / airplay - and more

If your using mDNS, make sure you have AirTunes enabled as one of the services. This is what AirPlay uses.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES

You certainly don't need multicast routers to make an L2 system work with multicast.

1. Enable multicast on the WLC (Controller->Multicast-Enable globaly and you can also enable IGMP snooping).

2. Enable multicast group for the APs (Controller->General->AP Multicast group->239.1.1.1 or something of the similar address). This is to have APs with multicast clients join a multicast group and offload the backbone network a little bit.

This should do it.

If they don't try any multicast traffic generator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mc-mint/) between a source and destination.

Thank you Vlad,

I will try with a generator - didnt event think of that (I do see some stuff showing up in Monitoring-Multicast on the WLC, but it is not the group ip (239) i set on there, it is 224 ones, for short time period anyway.

Would it matter what subnet my A/P are connected to?

My understanding is that the AP's, in local mode, "tunnel" back to the controller anyway, so the multicast should be over that "tunnel"

(the AP is connected to vlan 6, my wired subnet so to speak, while the vlan used by the SSID's is 7, the controller is on a trunk port, uses vlan 40 for management)

If your using mDNS, make sure you have AirTunes enabled as one of the services. This is what AirPlay uses.

-Scott

Thank you Scott - that appears to have been it - I dont relly grasp the concept of mDNS (havent tried), but it was enabled and I added AirTunes to it, and now it seems AirPlay keeps on working.. 

I don't see any relevant multicast in use when I have an AirPlay session going, so I am going to guess that it doesnt even use multicast - I wont speculate, just a note, because a lot of people do seem to think AirPlay is a bonjour thing and that it needs multicast...  anyway, I am happy now - this works..

now on to the next challenge, I will start a new thread for that though

Multicast is required if your doing bonjour over layer 3. So for example, your apple tv is on vlan 10 and your iPads are on vlan 20. This is where you need multicast enabled.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies