Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2504 controller + 2602 APs = wireless clients connectivity problems

Hello, everybody!

I have a connectivity problems of wireless clients. The symptoms are:

1) Some clients receive 169.254.x.x., instead a correct DHCP addresses, less in a minute connection drops, and in controller's "Monitor" > "Clients" tab these clients are marked as "Excluded".

2) Most of the clients receive the correct addresses from DHCP (192.168.2.x), but also loose connection soon.

3) Wireless clients with correct addresses can't ping each other, gateway and an address of the controller's dynamic interface (all of them are in same subnet).

4) And the most suspicious problem is that some machines are unable to connect to APs after several attemps to do that. I mean, I configure controller and change some options, trying to understand, whether they were applied or not and constantly connect and disconnet certain PC to the SSID. After five or ten attempts I can't connect to the SSID. During these attempts, the others PCs stay connected, without interruptions, and they could be reconnected again. It's like some kind of port security works, but I'm not sure...

Do you have any ideas which options should I configure?

My configuration:

I have three interfaces on the controller: virtual, management (default) and dynamic (it is set to the WLAN)

I have one SSID, WPA/WPA2, AES/TKIP, authentication PSK.

My clients are a/b/g/n, all are permitted on the controller. No custom security policies were applied.

All the devices are in a single room: controller, one AP and different clients: desktop, notebooks, iPad, Nokia Lumia, etc.

I have an internal DHCP Server on the controller and it works perfectly well.

I can provide all the screenshots required from web-interface of the controller...

Many thanks in advance for all ideas that you have about these problems...

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

2504 controller + 2602 APs = wireless clients connectivity probl

1) Some clients receive 169.254.x.x., instead a correct DHCP addresses, less in a minute connection drops, and in controller's "Monitor" > "Clients" tab these clients are marked as "Excluded".

2) Most of the clients receive the correct addresses from DHCP (192.168.2.x), but also loose connection soon.

This is beginning to sound like DHCP exhaustion.  What is the age of your DHCP lease?

I have one SSID, WPA/WPA2, AES/TKIP, authentication PSK.

Choose either WPA or WPA2.  Don't enable both and hope for the best because some OS, like Apple doesn't like it.

Re: 2504 controller + 2602 APs = wireless clients connectivity p

Ooops! I have forgot to add something: DHCP pool is not exhausted, there is only ten or twelve IPs are used. The pool size is 254 IPs. The age of DHCP lease is 1 day.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The age of DHCP lease is 1 day.

What is the size of your subnet?

How many clients do you NORMALLY have daily? 

VIP Purple

Do a test with Open authentication & make sure all the clients get IP properly & can talk to each other. If every thing work as expected then move onto PSK.

When enabling security select ONLY  WAP2/AES & let all others un-ticked.  Test with that set up & see

Post "show wlan " output of your controller

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Cisco Employee

Use either WPA or WPA2 not both.

If DHCP lease is only for a day as you mentioned then please increase it....

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If DHCP lease is only for a day as you mentioned then please increase it....

Jha,

This is sooooooooooo WRONG in so many places.

You need to know the (severe) repurcussion if & when you INCREASE the DHCP lease time. 

Hi, there!

The problem was solved.

1) APIPA address receives only single machine with Win8 - I think there are some firewall issues

2) Other devices have been loosing connection because they were mobile devices, like iPad and Lumia. If you keep working with it, it doesn't drop the connection

3) The dynamic interface address and gateway address were inaccessible because i had not used an appropriate port on the controller. =)))) Firstly, it was just a guess, but it proved.

Now, everything works with WPA2, AES, PSK...

It is a very good day!)

The only question remains: why I can't connect machines, which have a static IP? During the controller initialization, I said "yes" for permitting static IPs...

Guys, many thanks for your help!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

why I can't connect machines, which have a static IP? During the controller initialization, I said "yes" for permitting static IPs...

You've chose "Yes" when you configure the Management Interface to have static IP Address (not the clients).

why I can't connect machines, which have a static IP

Duplicate IP address perhaps?

Thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content