Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2504 Controller - can I use a wired port for a desktop?

I need just one more port, and I don't have one.  I was thinking I could use port 2 on the 2504, since port 1 goes to the switch and ports 3 and 4 are for two access points.

I have tried to no avail to get a workstation up on port 2.

DHCP is running on the WLAN controller.  WLAN clients get IP addresses from controller, and so the the two access points.

When "Enable DHCP Proxy" under Controller--->Advanced-->DHCP is not checked, an AP gets IP from gateway.

When "Enable DHCP Proxy" under Controller--->Advanced-->DHCP is checked, an AP gets IP from DHCP scope on controller.

If I unplug an AP and plug in my laptop... I don't get an IP address.  It looks as if the controller (when looking at the GUI) has been locked down to only allow the controller to communicate with a switch and access points.

Anyone got any ideas? 

• Getting Started with Wireless
2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

2504 Controller - can I use a wired port for a desktop?

No, this is not supported,, you cannot connect wired clients onto WLC ports & get DHCP.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: 2504 Controller - can I use a wired port for a desktop?

No you can't. I won't work.

The distribution ports are used primarily for the WLC to talk to a switch and not a PC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Views
Helpful
Replies