Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2504 N+1 HA Configuration

Hi all,

I've installed two WLC 2504 (Code 7.5.102.0) with HA N+1 following this documentation http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

See bellow the configuration :

Primary WLC :

(Cisco Controller) >show redundancy summary

Type of the Unit = Primary

(Cisco Controller) >show advanced backup-controller

AP primary Backup Controller .................... WLC-2 @IP WLC-2
AP secondary Backup Controller ..................  0.0.0.0

Secondary :

(Cisco Controller) >show redundancy summary

Type of the Unit = Secondary

AP HA Config :

Primary Cisco Switch Name........................ WLC-1

Primary Cisco Switch IP Address.................. @IP WLC-1

Secondary Cisco Switch Name...................... WLC-2

Secondary Cisco Switch IP Address................ @IP WLC-2

The issue I met is that when I show the license on my secondary controller, I just see the 75 evaluation ones and not the 25 installed on the Primary :

(Cisco Controller) >show license capacity

Licensed Feature    Max Count         Current Count     Remaining Count
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AP Count            75                0                 75            

So when the Primary controller fail and the AP goes to the secondary, it uses the evaluation licence.

Is anyone know if I made a missconfiguration ?

Thanks.

• Getting Started with Wireless
10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 2504 N+1 HA Configuration

This is the confusing part. AP SSO shares the primary WLC license. N+1 doesn't share the primary but max out on what you have on your primary. Your setup is correct. I have set the evaluation as a higher priority, but that shouldn't matter. Just make sure you accept the EULA for the base. Also test the failover by powering off or disconnecting the primary from the network. Try keeping the base as active license and test.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks for your reply,

The failover work correctly, but when my ap is on the backup controller it seems to use the evaluation license. I'm worry about that because when the evaluation license will expire the backup controller won't have any license to accept CAPWAP connection.

You said that I've to accept the EULA for the base but I've no EULA prompt when I go to Management - Software activation - licence - base-ap-count.

Fabien.

Hello,

I have a question regarding 2504 N+1 configuration.

I can´t find redundancy menu on GUI. how can I set up wlc role ? Is there any previous step do to ?

I can´t find on primary neither on backup controller. I already tried on version 7.6

Thanks

Hi Eder,

You would see the Redundancy menu on the Monitor tab at the left hand side , but for that the AP-SSO feature should be enabled.

N+1 and AP-SSO are different things. When we have the AP-SSO feature enabled then we would see the redundancy option.

With N+1 we will not see the redundany option.

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh

hello,

I'm in the same situation.

I have two boxes one normal and one HA SKU

I find no documentation to configure ha N +1 WLC 2504.

I've looked at the guide but I could'nt find  n +1 for 2500 serie

I should rather configure AP Failover?

thank you

N+1 is the same setup as the 5508... here is a generic guide that will show you what needs to be done in order to setup your 2504 in HA N+1.  You do need to be on v7.6 code, since v7.5 is deferred.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

If you want to use the v7.6.101.8 that fixes issues with 3600's and 3700's along with Broadcom NICs, then you can either open a TAC case or look here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40402

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hello,

I think it is ok, because my secondary unit take all AP when primary fail.

I should see redundancy menu in this frame. However 2504 doens´t have it, and no document mention that.

WLC_Primary_02_Not_Redundancy.png

You set the primary and secondary on the AP's and this:

22.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Re: 2504 N+1 HA Configuration

thank you for your reply but

I have a few questions, if I may.

I've read the documentation but I do not understand several things:

1 When I do the commands "config redundancy secondary unit" nothing happens on the secondary boxes, it may be normal?

2 Do I need to re-configure the second device with the same parameter as the master (by changing the IP of course), so is there a process replication configurations as in a classic HA ?

3 If I do my setup twice, I just check on AP that this information out of the two controllers

4 when I'm on the second device "show redundancy", I just "secondary unit" normal?

5 i don"t have a interface redundancy, that is normal ?

6 can I deploy the second controller through a L3 network (MPLS) ?

I also do not see the menu redundancy and nothing in the documents would indicate .....

I have carefully read the doc, N +1 HA and a bit like the mobility group without the constraint of dual licensing?

Thank you for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.