Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2504 non-functional without SmartNet contract?

I'm not an engineer, so I'm turning to this board for a sanity check.  I have a new 2504 Wifi controller and a bunch of new 1602i and 3602e APs that we're trying to install for a client.  Try as he might, my technician cannot get the 2504 controller to even *see* the attached AP.

Now he's telling me that the 2504 controller needs a firware upgrade in order to work properly, and that that update is *only* available if you purchase a SmartNet support agreement.

Can this possibly be true?  That Cisco sells equipment that is advertised to work together (those antenna models are listed on the 2504 data sheet) but doesn't unless you agree to be extorted into a support agreement?

I can't believe this is true.  What say you?

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 2504 non-functional without SmartNet contract?

Antennas doesn't matter and isn't shown in the WLC. As Lin as the AP's are joined to the WLC then your fine. If the AP's are not joined to the WLC then either the configuration is wrong or the code your using isn't correct. You should be on v7.4.121.0 which works for your AP and is stable. You can choose the image when ordering also. Also of you have the WLC less than 90 days, you can still open a TAC case if required. Here is the matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Is version 7.4 required?  How is it possible that a Cisco Wifi Controller can't actually be used with Cisco AP right out of the box, when they list each other as compatible on their respective data sheets?  I can see a firmware update adding functionality -- but required for basic use?  Am I misunderstanding?

Are there examples of code available?  Perhaps my tech has simply set it up incorrectly or something.

Thanks for the assistance.

When purchasing access points, you need to understand what code is required to run those AP's. This is how it's always been. The minim code you need is v7.4 because of the 1602's. If you can't meet that requirement, then those AP's will never join the WLC. The WLC code versions are for features and hardware support. Your running into hardware support.

-Scott

John,

Just make sure that they look at the compatibility matrix. It will show there the minim code for that access point.

In order to help, we would need to know what code and how thugs are setup. If your not on v7.4, then you will never get the 1602's up and running. The 3602's need a minimum of v7.2 since v7.1 has been differed.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

John,

Post the following output:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  WLC:  sh time;

3.  AP:  sh ip interface brief;

4.  AP:  sh version; and

5.  AP:  sh inventory

Aside from what Scott's posted about the software version requirement, one of the biggest mistakes people have done (as far as I've seen in this forum) are the following:

1.  APs are the wrong Regulatory Domain;

2.  WLC's time and date is not configured correctly;

3.  AP not getting an IP address

Or buying autonomous AP's:)

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Or buying autonomous AP's:)

True.  Oh so true. 

Views
Helpful
Replies