Views
Helpful
Replies

2504 with Seperate Internet Connection

Alex Li
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a 2504 WLC connected to my internal LAN and internal SSID's working great.

What I would like to do is setup a guest SSID and have it use a physicially seperate interenet connection (DSL) I am using a PIX 501

for my DSL and that works great, but then I connect the PIX to a port on the WLC and assisgn a Guest SSID to it, I am unable to get an IP.

1. Can this setup work ?

2. Currently my management interface is untagged, can I have multiple untagged interfaces ?

3. Should I use the WLC as a DHCP server or the PIX ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not connect the dsl to the same switch and use vlans. That might be easier to get working. You don't have to have a layer 3 interface. You would just create a vlan on the switch just for the dsl and the one port off the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can only have one untagged vlan per port.

So you could use, say port 4, and have that untagged to your FW.  But if the FW is doing the DHCP, you'll want to disable dhcp proxy on the WLC

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

These are physicially connected to seperate ports. I am hoping to use the WLC as the DHCP server for the Guest WLAN.

You should be able to use the WLC as the server then.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I must be missing some DHCP options, as I cannot get an IP when connecting wo my WLAN. I get L2 connectivity just no IP. How can I debug this ?

Cheers

Post your show run-config or the interface configuration.

-Scott

Here are my pics..

That doesn't have enough info to determine anything.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not connect the dsl to the same switch and use vlans. That might be easier to get working. You don't have to have a layer 3 interface. You would just create a vlan on the switch just for the dsl and the one port off the WLC.

-Scott

I can use a Layer 2 switch with Vlans but not sure how that will help ?

Trunk the ports and only allow the vlan for that port. This way you can tag the manager and the dsl vlan.

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

I will give that a shot. Appreciate your feedback.

Let us know if that worked.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Dear

It is very easy. all the things you have to do is to play with VLAN. i am attaching one diagram which might help you in understanding vlan allocation.

Thanks Guys, worked flawlessly.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card