Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

Here is my issue. I have never setup a WLC before.

1. I have to VLAN

a. Native - 0

b. WIFI - 8

2. Controller Interface

a. management - 192.168.100.x

b. wifi - IP 172.31.10.3, VLAN 8, PORT 4

i. DHCP SERVER 172.31.10.2

3. Cisco Switch

a. AP Port configured as switchport mode trunk, switchport trunk allowed vlan 8, switchport trunk ecncap dot1q

b. WLC port on same switch configured as switchport mode trunk, switchport trunk allowed vlan 8, switchport trunk ecncap dot1q

4. From the switch I can ping my 172.31.10.2 DHCP server with is also on VLAN 8

From the WLC, I can ping 172.31.10.2 DHCP server

5. I plug in my AP 3502I to the configured switch port and I never get an IP address.

a. I know the switchports are configued correctly. I plug in a manaully configued AP 1130AG and I can get to the WIFI network on VLAN8

6. If I take the AP 3502I and plug it into PORT 2 on the WLC, I get a DHCP from the management side.

I don't know what to do next to get the DHCP working from VLAN8

Everyone's tags (5)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: 2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

Yes, with the WLC you can have the AP pretty much in any VLAN that you want. 

You map the WLAN to the VLAN/dynamic interface you want the client to get it's address in.

So go ahead and put the AP in the management VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

In the WLAN config, select the VLAN 8 interface.  This tells the WLC which VLAN to put those clients in.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Assuming you have a dynmic interface cretaed in the WLC that is ocnfigured for VLAN8. What you want to do is map the WLAN to the dynmaic intreface.

In WLAN.. Click on the WLAN.. Then you will see a drop down box that says management. Drop that down and select your dynmic interface for VLAN8.

This is where the packets move from and to wireless/wired.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ow are you sure the ap gets no ip address?

Can you provide console output from the ap?

Your 1130 AP could have static so that could indicate dhcp not reachable. Where is the dhcp server configured?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Community Member

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

yes, the 1130 has a static IP and works fine so I know the switch ports are configed correctly.

the 3502 shows 'Could not discover WLC using DHCP. Not sending discovery request AP does not ahve an IP.

Community Member

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

Here is my config.

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

Ron,

Not that this is your issue. But when working with CAPWAP aps there is no need to truck to the ap. The only time is when you use HREAP or a AP in rogue detect mode. Otherwise, it should be a plain old switch mode access ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

There error says it couldnt find the WLC via DHCP. This doesnt mean that your ap doesnt have a DHCP address. Do this .. Take the switch port the AP is on and move it to WLC managment vlan. Let it join and then let it move back.

Great, so we know that dhcp server is not reachable from the Port. Or better to say dhcp address is not being got for some reason.

I am sure if you connect a pc on that port it won't get an ip address.

Check reachability with dhcp. Packet capture can help to isolate.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

2504 WLC and 2 VLANS

yup .. sorry looked again Am is correct its not getting a DHCP ..

Ok a couple of questions to clarify here.

1.) is VLAN 8 going to be used for the AP's or the clients? (If it's for clients, do not put your AP on this subnet see further down)

2.) If you connect a PC to VLAN 8 on the switch, do you get an IP address?

Now some statements.

1.) if you connect an AP to the back of the WLC, which is not really recommended, the AP will talk directly to the management interface.  So what ever DHCP server you have configured there is where it will get it's DHCP from.

2.) If VLAN 8 is only for the AP, you do not need to trunk it to the WLC.

3.) If the AP gets an address in VLAN 8, and that VLAN is configured on the WLC, it will try to join to the WLC via the ip address of the dynamic interface, via a layer 2 broadcast.  And the WLC will reject the join, due to the request not being to the management address.

HTH,
Steve

Community Member

Ok, I can see the AP now getting a DHCP address then it gets dropped. I think this is happening. How can I fix this issue. Can I get it to pull a DHCP from the Management Interface, but still US VLAN 8 assigned to the SSID I want.

3.) If the AP gets an address in VLAN 8, and that VLAN is configured on the WLC, it will try to join to the WLC via the ip address of the dynamic interface, via a layer 2 broadcast. And the WLC will reject the join, due to the request not being to the management address.

Yes, with the WLC you can have the AP pretty much in any VLAN that you want. 

You map the WLAN to the VLAN/dynamic interface you want the client to get it's address in.

So go ahead and put the AP in the management VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

--- Make sure your have DHCP on the managment interface

Ok, I configured the port on my switch to allow VLAN1(management), VLAN8(WIFI CLIENTS)

I plugged my laptop in to the port and pulled an address from VLAN1 as it should.

Now, on my WLAN with ssid BPAGUEST, how can I make sure that anyone that connects to that SSID, gets an IP address from my VLAN8 dhcp server?

In the WLAN config, select the VLAN 8 interface.  This tells the WLC which VLAN to put those clients in.

HTH,
Steve

Assuming you have a dynmic interface cretaed in the WLC that is ocnfigured for VLAN8. What you want to do is map the WLAN to the dynmaic intreface.

In WLAN.. Click on the WLAN.. Then you will see a drop down box that says management. Drop that down and select your dynmic interface for VLAN8.

This is where the packets move from and to wireless/wired.

Make sense?

Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content