Views
Helpful
Replies

2504 WLC DTLS License

Peter Cresswell
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Does anyone know how to view if a WLC has a DTLS licence installed?

"show license all" doesn't appear to show anything related to DTLS, perhaps that's because it's not on there...

Thanks,

Peter

22 Replies 22

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Justin,

That is also the process if you have a 5508 with an LDPE image. You basically have to upgrade using an LDPE image and then install that free license to enable data encryption. I didn't have to install a DTLS license on my 2504, the upgrade was fine, but I did on my 5508. The other option is to call TAC and they can walk you through manually installing the image without LDPE but that is more intrusive. TAC issues that free license to make it easier to enable DTLS if you have the LDPE image.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Did your 2504 ship to you with 7.0.220.0 or newer code? I wonder if this is only a problem for pre-220 code on that platform.

Justin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mine shipped with the 7.0.116.0 code.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Per pollicy, WLCs that are received as RMA will not shipped with DTLS image on it, it'll be always LDPE image, user has to install the free DTLS license on the supported hardware.

Summary of what Scott explained before:

LDPE and non LDPE images are not interchangable however DTLS license file fix the gap.

DATA + WPS + LDPE == LDPE = no capwap Data encryption, need DTLS license to get the encyrption.

DATA + WPS == non LDPE = capwap Data encryption already available, no need to install DTLS license.

Though the feature is available, The feature is active only if it is enabled on the AP otherwise it is dormant.

newer APs does DTLS on hardware while the older does on software(beware enabling this on older AP would kill the AP performance).

data DTLS not applicable on hreap locally switched and Mesh traffic.

Goto any joined AP's advanced tab, if 'Data Encryption' is showed with 'check box' that is 'not checked' and 'Current Data Encryption Status' is 'plain text' OR 'Data Encryption' is checked and 'Current Data Encryption Status' shows 'Encrypted', means WLC is Data DTLS capable. some old APs don't support data DTLS.

Saravanan,

I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone else who may stumble across this thread when they first try to configure an OEAP-600.

I have a WLC2504 that is running the 7.4.110.0 DATA + WPS  image. It also shows 'Data Encryption' as 'not checked' and the 'Current Data Encryption Status' is 'plain text'.

When trying to join an OEAP-600 to the AP to the WLC I was seeing the 'WLC does not support DTLS' error message.

After installing the DTLS license as per Justin's instructions above, the AP began working properly.

Steve

Hello Saravanan,

Does this also apply to AIR-CT3504-K9? 

(Cisco Controller) >show boot
Primary Boot Image............................... 8.5.131.0 (default)

OUI File Last Update Time........................ N/A
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

Best Regards,

JM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card