Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2504 WLC with 1552E AP's not able to wireless mesh

Good day all,

I'm seeking some assistance/help for a problem I'm havine with a WLC and 9 APs. I have a basic configuration on the WLC and I have configured one of the APs as the RAP. Now I try and add a second AP into a wireless mesh but it cannot see the RAP. They are sitting 5 feet apart but I don't see anything on the controller for the second AP. If I attach it to the wired network it can see the AP. RF-2 is solid green, RF-1 is dark, Uplink is dark, Status is orange. I understand that this means it's seeking for the RAP/MESH.

I've tried some debug commands but to tell you the truth I am by no means a wireless expert.

When the second AP boots this is what I see through the console

*Mar  1 00:00:52.515: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to DISCOVERY

*Mar  1 00:00:52.775: %SSH-5-ENABLED: SSH 2.0 has been enabled

*Mar  1 00:00:52.803: Logging LWAPP message to 255.255.255.255.

*Mar  1 00:00:52.827: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 00:00:52.827: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar  1 00:00:52.843: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to reset

*Mar  1 00:00:52.843: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

*Mar  1 00:00:53.071: %SYS-6-LOGGINGHOST_STARTSTOP: Logging to host 255.255.255.255 started - CLI initiated

*Mar  1 00:01:46.827: %MESH-6-ADJACENCY_STATE_MACHINE_STARTED: Mesh adjacency state machine started

*Mar  1 00:01:53.491: %CDP_PD-2-POWER_LOW: All radios disabled - NON_CISCO-NO_CDP_RECEIVED  (0000.0000.0000)

Any assistance would be great.

Everyone's tags (5)
18 REPLIES

1. Check your future to be AP is in Bridge mode.

2. Check that RAP is switched to be RAP (default  setting is MAP). That is on Wireless->RAP->Mesh tab.

3. Have the MeshAP's MAC address on the MAC filter or AP Policies.

Vlad,

Thanks for the info

1. Do you mean the RAP or MAP device? The RAP is in bridge mode.

2. Yes it's RAP

3. Yes, it's part of the MAC filter

Thanks

1. Both actually.

I know how to check it through the gui but not the cli on the MAP?

Re: 2504 WLC with 1552E AP's not able to wireless mesh

Stacey,

You can do it through the GUI once you have the AP on the controller. And I am really-really sorry but this is a wrong advice as the 1552 APs don't have modes other than Bridged. Got carreied away with another issue and mis-read the topic.

What do you use to power up the 1552 access point? Be careful as they are not compatible with regular PoE (802.3af).

I'm using Cisco power injectors P/N 341-0257-01 No real name on the device

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/installation/guide/1550_ch2.html

To provide inline PoE, you must use the power  injector (AIR- PWRINJ1500-2=) specified for the access point. Other  power injectors, PoE switches, and 802.3af power sources do not provide  adequate power, which might cause the access point to malfunction and  cause over-current conditions at the power source. You must ensure that  the switch port connected to the access point has PoE turned off.

Vlad,

Those are the power injectors I'm using. The AP that is acting up is the MAP with no wired connection to the power injector. So I'm looking at the backhaul feature to get this up and running without wired network access.

Do you see any access points in the neighbor table of the RAP?

"show mesh neigh summary RAPNAME" on the WLC

So, I changed the injectors between the RAP and MAP. The MAP now works in MESH mode now. BUT now my RAP says the antenna's are up and I have moved my MAP to a location 100 feet away. I only get the MAP and not the RAP signal. Is that normal or is the power injector still an issue on the RAP?

1. Swapping injectors made MAP join RAP using mesh - is this correct?

2. I am not sure I understand your statement of "get the MAP and not the RAP signal".

PS Just a side note (as it is easy to miss): The maximum Ethernet cable distance between an injector and the AP is 140 feet. Total distance from AP to the switch (through the injector) is still 328 feet.

Vlad,

Sorry should have been a little more clear about that.

Can you use the RAP as an actual AP to join? What I mean by that is, now that I have switch power supplies the MAP works fine to use to join the network with a device. However when I'm near the RAP there is no signal other than the MAP. Is the RAP only used as a backhaul device and not an actual AP once in the Root AP configuration?

And to anwer question 1, yes, it now works, except for the above problem.

Stacey

Hall of Fame Super Silver

You still have two radios on the RAP just like the MAP.  As long as you are powering up the RAP/MAP with the correct power source, the radios should come up.  This means that you should have client access enabled by default on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz client access is optional.  Juat make sure that the AP/RAP/MAP is in the correct AP Group and that the WLAN is present in the AP Groups.  This will allow that WLAN to be broadcasted to the AP's in that AP Group.  If your using the default group, then by default, all WLAN's 1-16 will be broadcasted, WLAN 16 and higher will not be unless you define the WLAN in the AP Group.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So no matter what the RAP should still be advertising and clients are able to connect to the RAP for network access?

Stacey

You can use RAP to broadcast SSID over 2.4 GHz network just like MAPs. You also can use a feature called Client Backhaul Access and that will allow system to broadcast SSID over 5GHz radios. Please note that for RF reasons this is not a recommended option: every RAP and all of its MAPs (even those that connect to the RAP through another MAP) operate over the same channle, creating one large "wireless hub". When clients also access same 5GHz channel they make situation a bit worse, leading to various RF issues.

Check the individual radio (Wireless->Access Points->Radios->802.b/g/n) to see if the 2.4 radio is not disabled on the RAP..

So, I am bench testing this but I still not able to get the RAP to broadcast the SSID and allow client access. Radio role for the RAP is downlink access and for the MAP attached updownlink access. If I unplug the MAP I do not get any SSID so no network access.

So further to this, I change the inline power supplies back, so the one attached to the MAP is now attached to the RAP. Now the radio operational status is down.

So, I figured out the RAP, Scott you were right. I had changed the AP group name under the Advanced tab and once I changed it back to default-group it started to broadcast the SSID. Thanks Vlad and Scott for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content