Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2600 series AP not associating with 5508 controller

We have just received two of these and I am attempting to get them to register with the controller so I can configure them. Typically when we configure other Cisco AP's, like 1130's and 3500's, I just attached them to a 3560 switch with a port configured for VLAN 60. We have a Windows DHCP server with 241 option 43 configured for the vendor code and the IP address of the 5508. The AP's get their address and within a few minutes they are registered with the controller.

For the 2600's I configured VLAN 62 on the switchport and a VLAN 62 scope for the switch. In the Windows DHCP server, the option is listed as:

Option Name "241 option 43"  Vendor class "Cisco 2600 series AP".

The "241 option 43" has the IP address of the controller and the vendor class "Cisco 2600 series AP" with the entry Cisco AP c2600. 

The AP's have no problems getting an IP address but cannot register with the controller.  I have used the same method with over 300 1130 and 3500 AP's without any problems.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

console error logs need to be checked to confirm anything on this..

Have you got this resolved yet? Have same problem with Infoblox dhcp - works fine with "Cisco AP c3550" vendor class but not with "Cisco AP c2600". I set up dhcp option 43/60 for the 2600 AP on a Cisco switch and it worked no problem so issue seems to be with dhcp server. Are you using Infoblox as well?

Thanks

Andy

Yes

We just defined a simple option 43 in our windows DHCP server I did not use the option 60 vendor class. I tried by definining a dhcp scope on the switch but could not get it to work. I think my issue was that I was not entering the correct HEX info for the number of contolllers times 4 and the IP address converted to HEX

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Let's go back to basics ... Please post the following output:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  WLC:  sh time;

3.  AP:  sh version;

4.  AP:  sh ip interface brief; and

5.  AP:  sh inventory

For the AP2600 you need a minimum of 7.2.110.0 firmware running on your WLC.

Cisco Employee

Remember to be sure your Controller has enough licenses too....

carried out packet capture to see what was being sent to AP from Infoblox dhcp. option 43 didn't contain any WLC IPs. Using Cisco IOS dhcp just now until I work out what is going on with Infoblox - this worked fine up until about 1 month ago.

Cheers

Andy

Resolved this on Infoblox:

• Created Option Class (code 241 - array of IP addresses)
  • Created IPV4 option filter with rule that returned the Option Class (populated with WLC IP addresses) for any DHCP requests that had Option 60 starting with "Cisco AP"

Tested ok on a number of AP models.

Cheers

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content