Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.
For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.
We had a switch upgrade and afterwards found that 3 APs of 6 attached to the switch did not join the WLC.
We tried to shut/no shut the port, which did not remedy the issue.
We connected to the APs via console cable and found we were at the rommon prompt.
Using the 'boot' command we got the following error:
Reading cookie from SEEPROM
Loading ""...: permission denied
Error loading ""
Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...
To resolve the issue, we used the flash_init command. This produced the following:
flashfs: Checking block 0...bad block number (-21842)
flashfs:erasing block 0...done.
flashfs: 37 files, 9 directories
flashfs: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs: Total bytes: 31997952
flashfs: Bytes used: 14483968
flashfs: Bytes available: 17513984
flashfs: flashfs fsck took 19 seconds.
...done Initialized Flash
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
After this, we are able to run the boot command the AP rejoined the controller like normal.
IOS version of the switch: cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.03.02.SG.151-1.SG2
WLC version 18.104.22.168
Has anyone else seen this occur? Do you know what causes and how it can be avoided?
Check this :
Dont forget to rate helpful post.
Thank you for the linke Sandeep, however we were able to recover the AP by doing a flash_init and forcing a file system check.
No, I haven't seen it. Do these AP get directly connected to the switch you upgraded the IOS ?
I would think during the switch upgrade these AP may lost power during AP booting process, so it went to rommon mode.
*** Pls rate all useful responses ****
The APs are directly connected to the switch. The IOS upgrade did not cause all APs to fail boot, only a select few.
It would appear that the boot process was interrupted on the AP while the switch was doing a reboot. I would assume from PoE being turned off, and the file system was 'broken'.
I would like to see if we could prevent this from occuring in the future, but I'm unsure of what options we have.
Try & see if issue can be reproduced. If it is then it is a good case for TAC to looking into.
Upgrade the firmware of your WLC. That's a pretty old version and can have some bugs.
This occured again last night as another building recieved an IOS upgrade on their access switches. It occured on 1 AP out of about 40.
We are in the process of updating the firmware, but that will be a few weeks still. The remaining switches are receiving updates next week. The ratio of issues is about 1:50 APs so far. All are 2062i.
I will see if I can reproduce in a lab, open a case and post the findings here.
Thank you all