Views
Helpful
Replies

2k8 DHCP Server and Accesspoint Hostname

belessing
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

during an wireless installation I experienced some trouble with Cisco 1600 and 2600 Series Accesspoints requesting IP addresses from a Windows 2008 DHCP Server: Everytime we took the controller down for maintenance purpose, the Accesspoints seem to fill up the appropriate ip address scopes on the server. We discovered several "Bad Address" entries on the server. The same effect we discovered during re-naming of the Accesspoints.

I guess, that during LWAP/CAPWAP discovery process the Accesspoint requests an ip address once with his pre-configured Hostname (APxxxx.xxxx.xxxx) and once with the configured hostname (eg. AP-2nd-1...), resulting in 2 ip addressess per Accesspoint blocked at the server.

This is the first time I discovered this behavior. Does someone has an idea if you can configure the Server to use only the MAC and not the Hostname to reserve addresses ?

Thank you in advance,

Benjamin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On a MS dhcp server you can create MAC address reservation. However the behavior you have seen is normal, which is a bad thing. The APs will request a new IP address if it fails to join a wlc and will eventually use up all your dhcp address. Why this is like that, we'll it the process the AP goes to find a wlc. The MS dhcp sees the same Mac asking for a new address in which it will mark the previous with address as bad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On a MS dhcp server you can create MAC address reservation. However the behavior you have seen is normal, which is a bad thing. The APs will request a new IP address if it fails to join a wlc and will eventually use up all your dhcp address. Why this is like that, we'll it the process the AP goes to find a wlc. The MS dhcp sees the same Mac asking for a new address in which it will mark the previous with address as bad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

thank you for the quick answer. I can confirm the behaviour. Interesting, seems that the address ranges in my projects were large enough to cover this scenario. Well, I think the reservation of all IP addresses of the accesspoints seems to be a good workaround.

Have a nice day,

Benjamin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: