cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2n+1 redundancy with 2x5500's + 1x4402

srue
Level 7
Level 7

Is it possible to have AP's on a 5500 controller failover to a 4402 if they're running the same software version?  Will the AP's try to update their code upon failover?

(this isn't my design, but I might be forced to implement it if it's possible).

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can have AP's failover from the 5500 to a 440x, and if the controllers are running different codes, then the AP will pull the correct code for the WLC that it is attached to.

There is no difference between how the controllers support the AP, just the number they can support, platform features aside, i.e OEAP, guest anchoring etc.

Now, if you are working to have redundancy, you should have the controllers on the same code, and if you are using AP groups, the group settings need to match across the controllers as well.

HTH,

Steve

*Please remember to rate helpful posts*

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can have AP's failover from the 5500 to a 440x, and if the controllers are running different codes, then the AP will pull the correct code for the WLC that it is attached to.

There is no difference between how the controllers support the AP, just the number they can support, platform features aside, i.e OEAP, guest anchoring etc.

Now, if you are working to have redundancy, you should have the controllers on the same code, and if you are using AP groups, the group settings need to match across the controllers as well.

HTH,

Steve

*Please remember to rate helpful posts*

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

5500 controller failover to a 4402 if they're running the same software version?

Don't see any issues with this ... *drum rolls please* ... as long as you are not running something "exclusive" only to the 5508 such as OfficeExtend.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card