Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

350 client card insertion disables wired side of mult-homed host

I am running into an issue establishing a cross sub-net connection. I am hoping that some one has "been there, done that" Thanks for sharing any lessions learned.

Background:

My notebook hosts a PCM350 wireless nic and a Realtek RTL8139 wired nic. IPs are static non-routable (192.168.0.0). Each points to the other as its default gateway. The wire goes to a hub which supports several hosts. The 350 talks to a 350 WAP/Bridge hanging off a single host. All IPs are 192.168.0.0 (and unique) and netmask is 255.255.0.0

Behavior:

All components communicate properly in a standalone mode. When the 350 card is inserted communication thru the Reltek (e.g. ping -t) to a "host beyond" drops off (Request timed out). When the card is removed communication across the wire returns. The Realtek nic maintains a constant ping during insertion of the 350.

Question:

Why does insertion of the 350 prevent communication beyond the Realtek nic. Or more importantly how can communication be maintained across all components of the subnets?

Thanks again for any help.

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: 350 client card insertion disables wired side of mult-homed

Solution:

1. Changed one network to a different non-routable subnet (172.16.0.0).

2. Changed radio connection on the bridge to be member of that subnet while leaving the Ethernet portion as 192.168.0.0.

3. Moved the WAP/Bridge to hang directly off the hub.

4. Set the 350 client to support an IP address from both subnets and every one is happy.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content