cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

350 Eth Root Bridge and 340 Eth Repeater Bridge

iedwards
Level 1
Level 1

Some documents state that these two cannot communicate, other docs say they can if you change the STP and things will work.

I have these connected along with three remote 340 and 350 Workgroup Bridges (WGB). The system is running but performance is poor, even for the WGB's directly associating with the 350EB.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Just to clear up the issue on what is not supported.

Cisco does not support BR350 and BR340,BR341 or BR342 on the same radio network. Can can be plugged into the same etherent LAN but you can not have the 2 associate together on the radio side. The correct source of this is the release notes for the 350 bridges and if you could post the link to any documentation that says otherwise I will happliy direct it to the people who write this to get the confusion cleared up for you.

AP's and WGB do not have the same restrictions as they are very different devices.

The mosly likely reason for your poor performance would be RF interference or radio congestion.

Do you see a large amount of CRC errors or Discarded packets or both ?

Both but the main issue is the Discarded PAckets.

There is a delay in getting a new 350 but I have a spare 340 so will replace the 350.

Thanks for the info

If you are seeing discards then the problem is more traffic is coming in the the etherenet interface than can be sent out the radio interface.

This can be due to either a poor RF environment if you are seeing CRC errors then you have interference.

You need to find the source of this interference and work around it.

Have you tried another channel ??

Remember the MAC access on the radio side works a lot like ethernet, the radio will listen before transmitting a packet then if it detects RF energy it will hold the packet pack until the radio is clear and it can transmit. If you have interference then it is not only legtimate packets that can cause this hold of situation but the noise if it exceeds the threshold then will also cause the packet to be held off which will then compound your congestion issue causing the discards cause the AP can no longer buffer that packet.

I would also set my ethernet interfaces and the switch ports they plug into to 10M half duplex. The radio side is 11M half duplex so if you have 100M full duplex on the ethernet then the AP has to buffer the speed difference and the buffers can be easly over run.

Fix your RF environemt before going swaping hardware around too much because I think that is your real problem. (that is for the supported combinations of hardware of course)

rsahney
Level 1
Level 1

To tell u the truth Cisco will not support connectivity between 340 and 350 bridges , rest u always have ways to do things that u want to...

after all desires lead to destination....

for anyfurther assistance pls do write back..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: