Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3850 as WLC config to connect to 6509

We have a 3850 which is currently being used as a L3 routing device between our core and Wan edge. I have started to look into the WLC and have an AP connected to the switch.

My question is do I need to trunk this switch into our core to be able to get the vlans through or as the tunnels are terminated on the switch would they just route from the switch.

What is the recommended configuration for the 3850 as a WLC

Thanks

Roger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

IMHO, the recommended

IMHO, the recommended configuration is going to be what works in your scenario.

If you are doing L3 on that Switch, and turn on the WLC functions the switch is going to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel. From there any traffic is going to follow the routing rules you have in place.

So unless you have a really compelling reason to change your link to the 6500 to be L2 and have those VLAN live on the switch, leave it a L3 connection and let the traffic route.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
2 REPLIES

IMHO, the recommended

IMHO, the recommended configuration is going to be what works in your scenario.

If you are doing L3 on that Switch, and turn on the WLC functions the switch is going to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel. From there any traffic is going to follow the routing rules you have in place.

So unless you have a really compelling reason to change your link to the 6500 to be L2 and have those VLAN live on the switch, leave it a L3 connection and let the traffic route.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve, that makes

Thanks Steve, that makes sense.

Views
Helpful
Replies