Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

3850 questions

Had a few 3850 questions.

Can the 3850 also act as a controller with the IP base license? If true, would a controller this size be appropriate for a branch office rather than an enterprise?

If using the "Mobility Access" mode it is akin to the classic controller/thin AP archetecture? 

"Mobility Controller" mode is making the 3850 the controller?

How does licensing work. Must you purchase a license per AP only if you are planning on using mobility Controller mode?

Must my 3850 have PoE+ in order to power the 3702i APs to use 802.11ac?

Also, I've read the data sheets but, they don't really go into much depth - especially about the wireless function. Anyone have any docs going into detail about the 3850 wireless capabilties?

Thanks.

Everyone's tags (1)
8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Must my 3850 have PoE+ in

Must my 3850 have PoE+ in order to power the 3702i APs to use 802.11ac?

Yes.  If you want to run 802.11ac on your 3702 then you need PoE+.  If you don't provide 20.0w PoE then the AP will operate but at a slower data rate.  

VIP Purple

In simple terms, Converged

In simple terms, Converged Access deployment controller functionality split into two

MA - Terminate CAPWAP, keep client database entries

MC - RRM, Mobility, etc

By default 3850 is MA when you configure a wireless management interface on it. You need to have MC +MA (within the same switch stack or cetralized MC & distributed MAs) to get the system working. You need to have AP licence only on MC & not in MAs.

3700 AP to work you need to have IOS-XE 3.3.2 ( includes support for Z regulatory domain as well). 3850/3650 supports POE+

Below post should help you to get it starts

http://mrncciew.com/2013/09/29/getting-started-with-3850/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Community Member

Rasika - Thanks for the link.

Rasika - Thanks for the link. I've started reading it - having gotten all the way through yet.

On a broader topic regarding the new 3850/wireless architecture; What is the recommended archecture? For example; is Cisco encouraging us to use the MC functionality on the 3850s at remote branches and small offices and a dedicated controller at main campus or is Cisco encouraging us to eventually replace all our controllers and go to a 3850 MC architecture.

Thank you

VIP Purple

Hi Patrick,Here is the Cisco

Hi Patrick,

Here is the Cisco recommendation.

Small Branch : 3850 switch stack act as a MC/MA  or one 3850 stack as MC & multiple other 3850 stacks as MA

Main Campus: 5760 or existing 5508 as MC at distribution layer & multiple 3850 stacks as MA at access layer.

For a large site, from the scalability point of view, you need to have centralised controller for MC function rather than run the MC functionality on a 3850.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Community Member

Rasika, Thanks for the

Rasika,

Thanks for the response. So, in a large Main Campus best practice is to stick with the old controller. When 3850s are used at the Main Campus we should configure 3850s as MA. At small remote branches we should configure 3850s as MC. 

When using the 3850 as an MC we will have to purchase licenses for access points, correct?

Thank you

VIP Purple

Hi Patrick,Yes, your

Hi Patrick,

Yes, your understanding is correct.smiley

When purchasing licence for 3850, it is only required for MC switch stack. No licence required for MAs. Lets say you have max 20APs at branch, then you can purchase single 3850 with 20 AP license & all other 3850 (if required) without any AP license.

Thanks for using the rating system as well.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Community Member

Thanks Rasika - so, at the

Thanks Rasika - so, at the Main campus the 3850's selling point, other increased bandwidth, netflow and others, is it's ability to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel at the switch?

Thanks

VIP Purple

Hi Patrick,Yes, 3850 is

Hi Patrick,

Yes, 3850 is performance enhanced switch & that should be a good replacment for any of the existing access layer switch models (wether you use WLC functionality or not)

Mainly 3850 in Converged access will give you the flexibility of treating wired & wireless traffic in same way for QoS & Security policy (since capwap terminate on MA at access layer, no more capwap tunnel back to your distribution layer WLC)

Also 802.11ac (1Gbps wireless) is another reason to terminate capwap at your access layer. Otherwise all these capwap goes back to 5508 & it will become the bottleneck (8Gbps max for all your APs)

Also improved roaming performance (within a SPG ) is another advantange

Netflow & other features are additional pluses of the CA.

Here is a very good presesntation of this CA architecture to understand the concept. This is from CiscoLive melbourne event held a week back.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content