Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3850 Stack MC - Licensing "Redundancy"

Hi all,

Just been playing around with a stacked 3850 MC with a couple of 3650 MA and 40 - 50 APs hanging off the MAs. As part of my playing around I was testing failure scenarios which led me to a question about a failure of the Active 3850 stack member and AP licensing.

Test 1:

I put all AP licenses (50) on the primary stack member and connected 40 APs to my MAs. I then powered off the primary stack member and tried to connect a new AP which failed on account of the fact that no licenses were available to join the APs to the secondary member.

Test 2:

I split the AP licenses between the stack members 25 on each and connected 40 APs to my MAs. I then powered off the primary stack member and tried to connect a new AP which failed on account of the fact that not enough licenses were available to join the AP to the second stack

My findings from this test led me to the conclusion that all I can do in this scenario is manually add additional licenses to the second stack member in the event of an extended outage of the primary stack member. Am I missing something or is there a way to get around this problem or is the this how the solution was intended to work? For my mind it seems wrong that manual intervention is required in the event of a stack member failure to retain functionality of potentially half of operating APs.

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Hi,AP licensing is required

Hi,

AP licensing is required when AP register to a WLC. So as long as AP registered to MA (while consuming a licence at MC), it (traffic forwarding) will work even during MC is down (.RRM & certain MC functions will be impacted)

True that you cannot add more AP or if your MA connected AP reloaded, they will not join, until MC is back. How long do you think your MC will be down for ? Also what is the possibility of  adding new AP within that given down time ?

I would get some extra licences (lets say 100) & distribute it between 50+50 if it is a real concern. Otherwise live with 50 license (25+25) & manage the risk (ie Bring the MC up within a reasonable time frame).

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content