cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3945 ABG PEAP & CHAP

linhthasack
Level 1
Level 1

Help, I cant get the 3945 ABG card to work with our cisco AP using peap & chap. Has anyone have this problem. If so could you please help. Thanks

34 Replies 34

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Is this problem only relevant to 3945 ABG , Are you able to use PEAP in other wireless clients?

Yes, I am able to use PEAP with other wireless card. We are having problem with only the 3945 abg card, is it a compatibility issue or a driver issue?

Intel claims that the card will be compatible with Cisco's protocol. I have no problem with MAC authenthication through the ACS and a Guest account which does not require authenthication.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, if you are using the Intel supplicant, you need to uncheck the box for "Disable EAP-FAST Enchancements" go to the next page, and you should have a "Roaming ID". In that box, put the name that ACS is expecting, then go back and re-uncheck the Enhancements box. Tell it ok, and try to connect.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for your reply, but it still did not work. I appreciate any reply. Please keep it coming.

can you give us a doc, that has some screen shots of the setup, of the supplicant?

I'm really a visual person.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

You better check below link for the CCX v4 support list to determine your laptop is supporting CCX v4 or not.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

Yes, The laptops that we have does support CCX v4. This is the link that shows some screenshot, and some suggestion for the fix....but it didnt do the work. http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-022331.htm

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-64439

I have all the latest version of driver for the card.

>>>>>More feedback please>>>>>>

I suggest to work from the fresh that use the basic config, e.g. leap or eap-fast to test the compatibility first then try the peap.

It is hardly to say the problem is the AP or the laptop 3945ABG....

Thanks for everything everybody,,I think were going in circles here. The problem is not with the AP because all other wireless cards will authenthicate to the ACS and grabbing access through our AD. It is determine by Cisco TAC that this is a compatibility issues, which I knew was going to be the answer from TAC before I open up the case. If you guys are interested please see TAC case #603960185 (Laptops with Intel 3945abg wireless card will not authenthicate using PEAP). I'm surprise I we are the only ones that are reporting this problem since Intel 3945abg will be the major wireless card to be install in the next generation of PCs and Laptops being built. All comments and suggestions are still welcome.......thank you so much to all you guys that reply ....and to all the readers be ware........

Are you using the Intel client or letting Microsoft manage the connection? We've had better results with WPA1/2 and PEAP by uninstalling the Intel client and letting MS manage the connection. Although with the Intel 2915, I did not see the card sending CCX without the Intel client. In general we've had nothing but trouble out of the Intel cards. We have standardized on the Dell 1470/90 with the Broadcom chip. The roaming is better and does CCX4 with a driver only install using the MS wireless. I haven't tested the new 3945 series, but I believe the Cisco CB21 and the Dell/Broadcom 1470/90 are better choices.

Running XP-SP2 on the clients with the WPA2 patch and Fast reconnect patch. Running 4.0.155.0 on the WLC.

I prefer to use Microsoft, but with Intel's 3945 a setting has to be adjusted using the admin tools. Yes I also did use Microsoft to manage the Inel card. I also install Cisco CB21 in the PCMCIA slot and disable Inel card. But it didnt work right the the laptop. The connection keeps droping in and out. You are right about getting any other cards besides intel.....they suck big time with compatibility issues especially with cisco. I too never have problem with broacom/dell or cisco cb21. thanks for the reply .... at least i now know im not the only one out there

If you already tested CB21 but still not work and it is the problem only in this laptop. The final step is to use a clean MS windows w/o special tools, driver installed to test the hardware. If the problem still occur, I believe it is the compatiblity issue of the laptop.....

Today one of our staff came in with an IBM laptop with 3945abg card. IBM claims they have a fix for 802.1x + PEAP, of course that was a false claim also. I loaded their new supplement 4.12 to the laptop and try to connect. I got an authenthication fail.....now before you reply and say check your ACS or APs for the correct radius setting (i can authenthicate using other wireless besides 3945abg, we're beyond basic troubleshooting). Yes Jack , your right about the compatibility issues. I was just hoping that one of the vendor or Cisco could do something about it to push this issue forward and really test the darn card out before they claims compatibility issue. I open up a case with Cisco. Cisco gave up on me. To read more on the case please see prior thread for case #.......if any body out there that can get the Intel 3945abg card to work with 802.1x + PEAP authen using ms-chapv2 please. heeeeellllllpppppppp.

I am glad I found this thread. I have a fleet of IBM T60's all with the Intel 3945 card. We are attempting to use IBM Access Connections 4.12 as well. MS Hotfix for Peap authentication to 3rd party radius servers has been applied to laptops running WinXP SP2. We are using PEAP with MS CHAPv2 as well. WPA2 with AES. Backend consists of Aironet 1130AG's and Cisco ACS 3.3

I have discovered that I cannot connect with this card on the first attempt. However, if I have the laptop plugged into our network via an ethernet cable, and then attempt to make a wireless connection (yes, while the ethernet cable is plugged in), it will connect. I can then shut down the laptop and from that point on, I can make successful wireless connections with no problems.

Just like you, I am way past basic troubleshooting. I have tried using MS Wireless Config tool as well. No dice.

I have opened up a case with TAC and put them on notice. I get the same info you are getting. I have also spent a good deal of time with IBM today, and it was pretty positive. I have a case that has been elevagted to engineering to look at this further. It really stumped the guy I was working with, and agreed something was not quite right. Since the card is CCX v4 compatible, Intel should be able to modify the drivers so the OEM's can get them their customers.

Also, I have ordered another IBM Wireless A/B/G mini pci card that is offered by IBM for this laptop. It will be in tomorrow, I am going to remove the 3945 card, and install this card to do a validation that it will connect. After this, I will report back to IBM my findings. I suspect that this will wor (or at least I hope).

I will post back on this board my findings. If you find anything out on your end, please keep us posted.

Thanks, and I hope what I have shared helps somehow.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card