Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4402 connection to Cisco core switch

I'm under the assumption that a 4402 WLC can only be connected to a LAN switch via fibre....is this correct or can the ethernet port be used?

8 REPLIES

Re: 4402 connection to Cisco core switch

Ethernet port can be used. There is no need of fibre connection to connect the 4402 WLC.

Hope this help.

You are able to connect either, but you need the correct SFP. Also keep in mind the switch onto which you connect the WLC MUST be GIG. 10/100 will not work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

That's great guys, thanks for the clarification.

RVirdi,

I wanted to also mention depending on your controller size and APs you need to be aware each controller gig port is capable of managing up to 48 access points. However, Cisco recommends no more than 25 access per port.

So if you have a 4402-50 and use just 1 of 2 ports you would only connect 48 aps...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Can anybody tell me if 4400 or 5500 Controller go full equiped to work or if you need to buy at least 1 SFP to do something with it?

Thanks

Gold

You will need an SFP with either model controller.

Thanks. One more question. I want to deploy wireless Guest Access. In the enterprise mobility guide talks about havint 2 controllers (adds an anchor controller to do a tunnel) plus WCS. But it is possible to do without the anchor controller? So can I deploy wireless Guest Access with web portal authentication with only one controller? Is it necessary WCS?

So can I deploy wireless guest access and employees wireless access with AP's and a 4400 Controller and an SFP?

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you are planning to get a WLC5500, I would recommend you upgrade the firmware to 6.0.188 because there are some Cisco SFP (Gig only) the 5500 will NOT recognize (because it believes it's not Cisco OEM).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content