Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

5508 Controller and DHCP

I have just setup a new WLAN that goes out a seperate port than our normal traffic for guest access and it works fine except the DHCP proxy.

I see 2 areas where a DHCP server address can be put in, one on the WLAN configuration and the other on the controller interface. Can someone tell me the differences?

For the proxy I tell the controller the address of the DHCP server which both are connected to the same switch. For some reason it does not pull any addresses but when I plug a laptop into the same switch I do get an address. I do have this working fine on our production WLAN so is there any logs or debugging I can do at the controller or do I need to use a packet anlyzer?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

5508 Controller and DHCP

HI Robert,

As per my knowledge there is no diff.

Either you can enter  DHCP override to the management interface IP address of your controller Or, you can use the DHCP option of the controller interface configuration for the interface you wish to use the internal DHCP server.

Can you post the log from a client which is trying to pull the IP from DHCP server.

is DHCP proxy enabled ??

Reagrds

Cisco Employee

5508 Controller and DHCP

with proxy enabled on wlc, it will look for dhcp ip config on wlc, where dhcp override takes priority over interface config, if proxy disabled the request would broadcast out to the subnet attached to the interface.

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

5508 Controller and DHCP

HI Robert,

As per my knowledge there is no diff.

Either you can enter  DHCP override to the management interface IP address of your controller Or, you can use the DHCP option of the controller interface configuration for the interface you wish to use the internal DHCP server.

Can you post the log from a client which is trying to pull the IP from DHCP server.

is DHCP proxy enabled ??

Reagrds

Cisco Employee

5508 Controller and DHCP

with proxy enabled on wlc, it will look for dhcp ip config on wlc, where dhcp override takes priority over interface config, if proxy disabled the request would broadcast out to the subnet attached to the interface.

5508 Controller and DHCP

Thanks for the responses with the inforamtio I was looking for. I ended up using Wireshark and found I was not receving a DHCP response but did send the request. i assume the device does not support the relay agent so ended up just splitting the scope and giving part to the controller which is working great.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content