cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 controller config

mlicardo7
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem that I am sure is just a quick fix changing something in the configuration of my 5508.  I am unable to ping a device on my wireless VLAN from a device on the same wireless VLAN.  I am able to ping, and be ping from devices on other VLAN's on my network.  The devices on my wireless VLAN are up and operational, I just can't manage them from a device on the same VLAN.

Any suggestions?

10 Replies 10

What is the configuration for "P2P Blocking Action" in WLAN Advanced settings ? It should not be set to "Drop"

In normal operation you should be able to ping each other in the same WLAN

HTH

Rasika

Yes, I checked this yesterday and the P2P Blocking action is set to "Disabled".

If you connect a wired machine to the same vlan, do you get the same results?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Tried this today.  A wired device on the same VLan can ping a wireless device.  So any wired device can ping on the VLan or to a different VLan on our network.  I went to another wireless VLan that is configured on the same 5508 controller and the same thing happens.  Can't ping two wireless devices on the same VLan but can ping devices on a different VLan. 

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

By any chance you may have a host firewall block that?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

No.  None of the devices have a host firewall enabled.

Moe,

When you ping a destination wireless device from a source wireless device and ping times out - what do you get in your arp cash of the source? Does it MAC address get resolved?

Actually, when I ping it, it does not time out.  It gives me "Destination host unreachable"

Hm, so there is no arp's comming back in responce to the request. Can you mirror VLAN traffic up from the WLC and check what is happening with ARPs when wireless client attempts an arp-request to another wireless client? Does that traffic get forwarded up to the VLAN (ignoring the setting of Peer-to-Peer Disable) or will you not see that request at all.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to the link for 5508 configuration guide-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card