Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

5508 mDNS (Bonjour Gateway) Communication Error

Hi all,

I have configured mDNS on my 5508 controller for AirPrint but clients are experiencing communication errors when trying to print to the device. I believe the config is accurate on the controller (8.0.100.0) and the device is visible:

Global multicast mode and IGMP snooping enabled
AP multicast mode (multicast): 224.0.0.251 (i'm not 100% sure this multicast address should be used according to a config document I have read)
Default mdns profile has been added to a single interface (which is a member of an interface group)
P2P blocking is disabled

Switch config:
ip multicast routing enabled and pim sparse-mode enabled under the vlan interface.

Any suggestion would be most welcome.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Your multicast should be

Your multicast should be changed to 239.x.x.x, which maybe use the last three octets of your wlc management ip.  Make sure that you have both AppleTV and AirTunes enabled for bonjour services (for Mirror), but make sure you have the specific services for that printer.  Make sure mDNS Global Snooping is also enabled.  This is really all you need as long as nothing is blocking bonjour.  You should also see the devices in the mDNS Domain Names.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
4 REPLIES

Your multicast should be

Your multicast should be changed to 239.x.x.x, which maybe use the last three octets of your wlc management ip.  Make sure that you have both AppleTV and AirTunes enabled for bonjour services (for Mirror), but make sure you have the specific services for that printer.  Make sure mDNS Global Snooping is also enabled.  This is really all you need as long as nothing is blocking bonjour.  You should also see the devices in the mDNS Domain Names.

Scott

-Scott

Just to add... your Printers

Just to add... your Printers are wireless correct?  If they are wired, then you need to create a dyanmic interface on the WLC and assign that interface on the wired side, in order for the WLC to have visibility to the bonjour services on the wired side.  If you place the device and the printer in the same subnet, it should work.... you need to get that piece to work first.

Scott

-Scott

Thanks Scott,I have changed

Thanks Scott,

I have changed the multicast address and everything looks to be working ok, and I have just completed a successful test print. I was pretty sure that this was the cause, but measure twice cut once!

As always, your assistance is very much appreciated.

Glad you got it working...

Glad you got it working... multicast address is the same as ip address, you need these to be unique or you will have duplicate address issues.  It's best to use 239.x.x.x and use the last three octets of your management ip address.  Most of the time this will work, but if the multicast address is used, just make sure you use a unique address.

Scott

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content