cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC, 3602e's, and lighting up other buildings on the campus

wilddoktor-sp
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 buildings surrounding our main building. None of them are wired for networking. 

Currently, I have a 1300 bridge in the main building plugged into a network switch, and an external antenna up on the roof that has line of site to each of the 5 buildings. I have 1300's on the outside of each building, pointing to the external antenna on top of the main building. Each of them has an ethernet cable plugged into a 5-port switch, and a few pc's are plugged into those switches (in each building). Some of these 1300's are on our old 1030 WLSE; some arent. Even so, this setup works fine.

I now want to duplicate this setup with new 3602e's that are joined to our new 5508 wlc.

How?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well you would need to setup a 3602 as a RAP (main building) and the other buildings are MAPs. So basically you are running MESH.

Here are some guides

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.4/design/guide/mesh74_chapter_010.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, that's a good start and helps me define terms a bit, but how do I actually set them to RAP or MAP? I don't see how in either of your links. The only options I have on the 5508 are:

Local

FlexConnect

Monitor

Rogue Detector

Sniffer

Bridge

The 5508 is running sw version 7.2.115.2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the configuration section. It shows you to set the mode to bridge and then you define root (RAP) or mesh ap (MAP)

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is another doc but older

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008072ea79.shtml

-Scott

Ah...set it as a bridge first, then the "mesh" tab shows up. That makes a bit more sense.

Those first two links are for a 1500 series AP; do they also apply to my 3602's?

*sigh* I set a 3602 to "bridge", and now it won't join the controller any more.  I'm heading out for the weekend; I'll pick this up again on monday.  Thanks for your help so far!

Don't rush it.... follow the guide, because it does tell you to add the ap mac address to the mac filter.  This is required when setting the AP to bridge mode.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card