Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

5508 WLC on 7.4 Strange Behavior Active Clients

I am seeing a very strange behavior on a Cisco WLC 5508 where from the GUI, I see clients showing associated, authenticated, and in the RUN state yet I know for sure these clients are not connected.  Has anyone seen this?

10 REPLIES

Funny you should mention it.

Funny you should mention it. I was just speaking with a customer yesterday who mentioned the same issue on 7.4.121.0 He mentioned a tac case was opened and I believe he said there was a bug ID.
__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Yes.  Very weird issue.

Yes.  Very weird issue.  Never seen this before.  I am on an engineering build 7.4.121.17 and am seeing this now.  

Great, another bug.....

Do you happen to know which

Do you happen to know which bug your customer was referring to?

George,The bug was just filed

George,

The bug was just filed yesterday

CSCup42735

I will keep y'all posted on progress made.

I have seen it, but I

I have seen it, but I attribute it to the fact that I have User Idle Timeout extended out to 4 hours or longer to accommodate sleepy apples.

5508 7.4.121.0

I do have user idle timeout

I do have user idle timeout set to the max value of 100000 secs.

If the idle timeout is

If the idle timeout is modified this could contribute to your issue. Clients that walk off or shut off normally never send deauth frames keeping the client record in the WLC. Default there is a 5 min timer (300 seconds).
__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

As long as it does not cause

As long as it does not cause a problem with the devices reconnecting I do not care.  We adjust the idle timeout on a WLAN configured for Central Web Auth with ISE so devices are not getting redirected to the login portal often. 

During the discovery process,

During the discovery process, the 1040, 1140, 1260, 3500, and 3600 series access points will only query for Cisco CAPWAP Controllers. It will not query for LWAPP controllers. If you want these access points to query for both LWAPP and CAPWAP controllers then you need to update the DNS.

Ensure that the controller is set to the current time. If the controller is set to a time that has already occurred, the access point might not join the controller because its certificate may not be valid for that time.

My friend Greg brought to my

My friend Greg brought to my attention about a recent bug file.

CSCup42735

CSCup42735
Symptom:
idle timeout deauths the client later than the configured time interval on the wlan.

Idle client timer: this is on last frame received from client, and this triggers client to be deleted with reason code 4. This can be any frame from device.

debug and over the air packet capture confirms that the last received frame from the client and the time we deauth it, is way more large than the configured value on the wlan for idle timeout.

Conditions:
wlan configured for idle timeout and client's wifi adaptor was shutdown, to make sure no frames were sourced from it.

calculating the time it was deauthenticated from wlc, comes out to be larger than the configured value of idle timeout on wlan.

Workaround:
none.

Further Problem Description:

Customer Visible

Was the description about this Bug Helpful?

(0)

Last Modified:
Jun 17,2014
Open
Severity:
3 Moderate
Product:
Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers
Support Cases:

Views
Helpful
Replies