cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5760 MC with 3850 MA question

willsmith1701
Level 1
Level 1

With access points connected to a 3850 configured as a mobility agent of a 5760 mobility controller, on which device are the WLAN's and AP groups defined? I have a test environment set up in preparation for changing the role of several 3850 MC's to MA's after we install a 5760. I changed the role of a previously configured 3850 from MC to MA, and then defined the 5760 as the MC on it after it rebooted. I then added the 3850 as a member of a peer group on the 5760. The data and control path between the two came up and everything looked good. Then I connected a 3702 to the 3850. It shows as registered on the 3850 with the show ap sum command, and on the 5760 it appears as learnt from mobility agent with the show wireless mobility ap list command. The access point however it is in the ap group defined on the 3850, and advertising the wlans defined on the 3850. I tried to change the 3850 connected access points ap group from the 5760 to one of the ap groups defined on the 5760, but the command fails with the error invalid name or ap. It seems like ap commands cannot be run against access points that are not directly connected. So where are the interfaces, Wlans and access point groups defined in the converged access architecture? On the 3850 MA, or the 5760 MC? Or am I having this problem because I only changed the role of a previously configured 3850 MC without removing the wlans, ap groups, and client interfaces? I have read several convereged access docs, but am having trouble understanding how to configure each component. Please ask questions if you need more information to respond.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have no idea as the configuration push is a future feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

willsmith1701
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone in this forum done this yet?  Could you please help by posting how you configured the 3850's and 5760's in your environment?

jmeachum
Level 1
Level 1

You will want the same AP groups to exist on all of your 3850s and 5760s.  The AP only physically resides on the directly connected switch and currently you must configure each piece separately.  Each 3850 stack is essentially still a WLC (configured as MA), but the 5760 now handles client roaming, RRM, WIPS, ect.  So while you can configure the AP group on the 5760 the access points will continue to stay within the group specified on the 3850 it is directly connected to.

You will still have to configure everything on the 3850s as before.  The difference now is that you can now scale to a larger network.  

It is a pain now, but in the future you will configure almost everything on the 5760 and it will push the changes out to the 3850/3650 switches for you.

I hope this helps.

John

John,

Thank you.  How is the configuration pushed from the 5760 to the 3850?  Is this something that happens automatically if wlans and interfaces are configured only on the 5760 mc but not on the 3850 ma?  Or does the configuration push from the 5760 to the 3850  need to be manually initiated?

How is this configuration push done?  If this is something explicitly spelled out in the docs, could you please tell me which doc and page, I've read many and I don't see this detailed anywhere.

I have no idea as the configuration push is a future feature.

OK, thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: