Views
Helpful
Replies

5760 Mobility

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All

I'm using a Cisco 5760 with 3.3 code with a Cisco 2504 acting as an anchor. The 2504 is running 7.5 code and has 'New Mobility' (Converged Access) enabled.

I can't fine any reference to what ports are now used between the controllers. I'm assuming it's still UDP 5246/5247. I know EoIP isn't used with the new mobility.

Can anyone confirm the port requirements for new mobility please?

Regards

Roger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that info. As per your observation what is the time delay when mobility tunnel is not coming up ? No documents talks about that kind of behaviour.

Regarding the mobility packet format, here is some snapshot of a slide from Ciscolive session I went.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry - I meant ports UDP 16666/16667 are the normal ones. Can anyone confirm this is still the case for new mobility?

Per this document, it is only 5246/5247 CAPWAP ports in new-mobility

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

"Interoperability between two types of mobility is  not supported. When you downgrade the controller from Release 7.5 to a  controller software release that does not support new  mobility, such as  Releases 7.4.100.0, 7.3.101.0, 7.2, 7.0, or earlier (all releases prior  to 7.3.112.0), the controller automatically transits to flat mobility  (old mobility). This is due to the difference in mobility architecture  and noninteroperability between flat mobility (EOIP tunnels) and new  mobility(CAPWAP tunnels). "

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though it is CAPWAP instead of EoIP, UDP port numbers for inter-mobilty control is remains.

Here are the UDP ports:

• Control plane 16666 (always DTLS encrypted)

• Data plane 16667 (not encrypted and cannot be encrypted at FCS)

• MO listens on UDP port 16668

HTH

Rasika

it sounds like it's all CAPWAP now, which I know was the goal.

but the difference is if you are using new-mobility or if you are using the 'old' method.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think bit of confusion here. Yes I agree everything is CAPWAP, but UDP port number is different depend on what type of communication it is.

As per my understanding UDP 5246 & 5247 used for WLC to AP communicaton. Not for WLC-WLC mobility communication. So still I belive UDP 16666/16667 uses for Control plane & data plane traffic between controllers.

Here is one of my 3850 mobility summary output confirming it is using 16666 as UDP port.

3850-1#show wireless mobility summary

Mobility Controller Summary:

Mobility Role                                   : Mobility Controller

Mobility Protocol Port                          : 16666

Mobility Group Name                             : LTU-CA

Mobility Oracle IP Address                      : 0.0.0.0

DTLS Mode                                       : Enabled

Mobility Domain ID for 802.11r                  : 0x34c9

Mobility Keepalive Interval                     : 10

Mobility Keepalive Count                        : 3

Mobility Control Message DSCP Value             : 48

Mobility Domain Member Count                    : 1

HTH

Rasika

Good to know! 

I have been hearing that all the communication, even WLC - WLC is supposed to be moving to be all CAPWAP and getting rid of the 16666/166667 EOIP tunnel portions.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

For info guys I have monitored the mobility traffic between the 5760 and the 2504 using new mobility and its only using UDP 16666. Its definitely not using CAPWAP UDP 5246 and 5247 so the documentation is misleading in suggesting that mobility now uses CAPWAP tunnels.

A crucial element for the tunnel to be established is time. If the 2 controllers are too far apart in time the tunnel doesn't come up.

Regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that info. As per your observation what is the time delay when mobility tunnel is not coming up ? No documents talks about that kind of behaviour.

Regarding the mobility packet format, here is some snapshot of a slide from Ciscolive session I went.

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika

Thanks for the scrren shot - exactly what I was looking for.

I don't know what time difference would cause the tunnel to fail.

I've seen this a few times now where the time on 1 of the controllers caused the tunnel to fail.

I normally just make sure both controllers are tied to an NTP server.

Regards

Roger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: