cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

640-722 CCNA Wireless Hardware

erik.kneebone
Level 1
Level 1

Question for those in the know as I have not been able to confirm this. The course work covers AutoAP, LW AP's with a WLC, and touches other hardware types as well. My understanding is the config work involves the switch setup, both types of APs, APs through a WLC, and conversion of an Auto to a LW.

I am putting together my lab and would like to know what hardware and versions the test cover. We have 1130's, 1140's, 1250's, 3602's etc in terms of AP's and for the WLC's we have 2504's, 2106's, 2116's, 5508's and 2112's.

For my lab I already have a 3560G POE switch, an 881W router, and would like to have an AutoAP, WLC, and two LW APs. Any recommendations would be appreciated as I cannot tell which ones the CCNA 640-722 cover and as far as I can tell they are not refeshing this CCNA cert with the new 200's.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Erik,

CCNA Wireless exam is not expect you to have lot's of hands on experience & know a certain hardware/software in detail. This is the entry level exam for wireless & they cover fundementals of 5-6 different area. Therefore this exam perspective you should not be worried aobut what hardware or software version, this exam is based on.

I am sure you are well aware of the exam topics cover in this exam

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/iuwne.html#~Topics

Having said that, if you are planning to have a lab setup is very good thing since it will definetely most valuable thing when you moving up (CCNP Wireless -> CCIE Wireless). If you could afford for hardware, I would suggest you to have a 2504 as WLC & 1140 & 3600 as two LAP (but if this is too expensive you could use 1130, 1252 as LAP). You can convert these AP to Autonomous (and vice versa) when needed.If you could get 1130 or 1250 as permenant AAP that work fine as well. In addition to this you could have a VM for ACS/WCS/AD/DHCP when you are moving to CCNP -> CCIE level with some additional controller to test some advance topics like Roaming/Failovert ets.

This is my home lab I used for my cciew studies & you can get an idea how you can expand your lab set up when you progressin up.

http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/my-home-lab-i-am-getting-there/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Erik,

CCNA Wireless exam is not expect you to have lot's of hands on experience & know a certain hardware/software in detail. This is the entry level exam for wireless & they cover fundementals of 5-6 different area. Therefore this exam perspective you should not be worried aobut what hardware or software version, this exam is based on.

I am sure you are well aware of the exam topics cover in this exam

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/iuwne.html#~Topics

Having said that, if you are planning to have a lab setup is very good thing since it will definetely most valuable thing when you moving up (CCNP Wireless -> CCIE Wireless). If you could afford for hardware, I would suggest you to have a 2504 as WLC & 1140 & 3600 as two LAP (but if this is too expensive you could use 1130, 1252 as LAP). You can convert these AP to Autonomous (and vice versa) when needed.If you could get 1130 or 1250 as permenant AAP that work fine as well. In addition to this you could have a VM for ACS/WCS/AD/DHCP when you are moving to CCNP -> CCIE level with some additional controller to test some advance topics like Roaming/Failovert ets.

This is my home lab I used for my cciew studies & you can get an idea how you can expand your lab set up when you progressin up.

http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/my-home-lab-i-am-getting-there/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

That is what i'm looking for. The ultimate goal is CCNP level work for site surveys, then moving on to full CCNP. We are regularly deploying WLC's base in a colo and serving multiple locations as well as locations with 10+ AP's and VoIP wireless phones and hand helds roaming.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card