Views
Helpful
Replies

8.5 dBi omni antenna for 1242AG

dariogustin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

One of our costumers asked for a 8.5 dBi omnidirectional antenna for his 31 1242AG APs solution. Does anyone know an antenna with this features?

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

They have a Cisco Wireless solution compossed by 31 APs 1242AG and they want a higher gain and coverage possible in their infraestructure. That's the reason why they are looking for this antenna.

That ain't going to work.  These antennas are designed to shoot Point-to-Point wireless traffic.  It's not designed to be act as a service.

If they want more coverage, then they need to think about putting MORE APs in between the blackspots.

The antenna is a high-gain antenna, 8.5 dBi.  But what about the client?  As George has said, and he's got extensive experience with hand-held scanners, have about 5 dBi antennas (in some cases, LESS).  So the scanners can hear the the signals but the APs can't hear the scanners because the power of the scanner's antennas are too low.

View solution in original post

Right, so I'm going to suggest a more suitable antenna for this requirement

No, more APs to cover the blackholes in the warehouse.

Get a wireless site survey done so you and/or the client will be able to get a good idea how many APs you need, where to put it (including height), and what model of APs you need.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is a loud antenna .. I dot think you will find one that hot in the Cisco parts catalog, unless you do directional.

You will need to look at tessco.

Btw I might question them on what their need is .. Hot antenna .. 1242 at Max with a 8.5 = 800mw ! Most clients are around 50mw

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Tessco said that they provided 6 dBi antennas, what is the highest gain provided by a cisco omnidirectional antenna compatible with the 1242?

8.5 dBi is pretty strong.  Exactly what are you trying to do?

This is for an Integral Logistics operator who offer integral supply chain services such as, imports, exports, storage in tax free areas, port operations, unloading of ships, and air, sea and land transportation. They have a Cisco Wireless solution compossed by 31 APs 1242AG and they want a higher gain and coverage possible in their infraestructure. That's the reason why they are looking for this antenna.

Regards

They have a Cisco Wireless solution compossed by 31 APs 1242AG and they want a higher gain and coverage possible in their infraestructure. That's the reason why they are looking for this antenna.

That ain't going to work.  These antennas are designed to shoot Point-to-Point wireless traffic.  It's not designed to be act as a service.

If they want more coverage, then they need to think about putting MORE APs in between the blackspots.

The antenna is a high-gain antenna, 8.5 dBi.  But what about the client?  As George has said, and he's got extensive experience with hand-held scanners, have about 5 dBi antennas (in some cases, LESS).  So the scanners can hear the the signals but the APs can't hear the scanners because the power of the scanner's antennas are too low.

No, more APs to cover the blackholes in the warehouse.

Get a wireless site survey done so you and/or the client will be able to get a good idea how many APs you need, where to put it (including height), and what model of APs you need.

Perfect, thanks

Best regards

And here is why .. My first post ..

800mw coming out of the ap .. Very loud .. Your clients like scanners, iPads, laptops atc talk between 40 and 100mw.

This means they can hear the Ap but the ap won't be able to hear them ..

There is a reason why cisco doesn't offer these antennas .. Cause its a bad design ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Well I'll mention this as I have a 1242ag with a cisco 9dbi omni antenna

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-compatible-9dbi-aironet-4941-24ghz-dipole-antenna-p-6883.html

the higher gain antenna also is more sensitive to picking up signal from the client not just broadcasting louder, with my home 1242ag the range extends over 2/3rds of my neighborhood and a smartphone is capable of getting on within that range

but ya for a business I'd say more AP's because with a WLC you'd get finer grain tracking, I just enjoy knowing that I can walk down the street and still be on my home network

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: