Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

8 or 16 WLANs Supported

Ok, I've been searching everywhere and I can't seem to find the answer.  I know the WLCs support up to 16 WLANs but I could have sworn that I saw that only 8 could be active at one time.  We are running a combination of WISM, WLC 4400, and WLC 2100s in our environment.  The only places wer're going to need more than 8 is at our WISM and WLC 4400 locations.

Any help is appreciated (and supporting documentation if you have it).

Thanks all!

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: 8 or 16 WLANs Supported

I dont have the docs in front of me, but I know that the 6.0 code supports more than 8 (I believe 16), since we currently have 10 WLANs deployed during our migration. -John

Edit: Found this in the 6.0 WLC config guide: 

All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but

you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups)

to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

And this from the 4.2 guide:

The Cisco UWN Solution can control up to 16 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has

a separate WLAN ID (1 through 16), a separate WLAN SSID (WLAN name), and can be assigned unique

security policies.

Message was edited by: jcook@lexmed.com

10 REPLIES
Bronze

I dont have the docs in front of me, but I know that the 6.0 code supports more than 8 (I believe 16), since we currently have 10 WLANs deployed during our migration. -John

Edit: Found this in the 6.0 WLC config guide: 

All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but

you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups)

to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

And this from the 4.2 guide:

The Cisco UWN Solution can control up to 16 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has

a separate WLAN ID (1 through 16), a separate WLAN SSID (WLAN name), and can be assigned unique

security policies.

Message was edited by: jcook@lexmed.com

Hi,

We have a single 4402 with software version 5.2.178.0. I believe this will only allow for 16 WLANs, is there an upgrade path to allow for more? Adding a second controller for example?

We have a requirment for at least 30 WLANs broadcast to all AP's.

Tom

Reading this doc: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml makes me think that there might be a better way. Is there a way to have a single SSID but with many different PSK's to put the users in to specific VLANs? Or perhaps the same SSID and PSK but we administer a data base of client equipments MAC addresses specifying in which VLAN they belong?

Tom

Tom, I know there's a way to have one SSID set up and let ACS specify which VLANs the user gets assigned to based on group membership.  It sounds like you may want to look into 802.1x authentication and let ACS sort it out.

JCook, thanks for the info; I'm going to look deeper into it since we're on 4.2.

Cheers Ryan,

Would that require having an AD account per user? Our users are actually customers who take care of their own desktops for the most part, some are even XP home etc... don't suppose you have any further reading on Cisco's 802.1x authentication?

Tom

Tom, I haven't run across a specific document, but here's a link that will get you a basic understaning of what ACS 5.0 has to offer.  In these videos it will show how to authenticate users to an AD domain and place them on certain VLANs if you want.  Hopefully this points you in a decent direction:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9911/prod_presentation_list.html

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Controllers will accept up to 512 SSIDs but only 24 will be broadcast or active.

Keep in minnd each SSID you add creates network utilization. I ran test with 1 meg rates enabled with 10 ssids and the medium was at 40% with no traffic. just beacons.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thanks George,

That's my worry actually, I think we are going to look in to 802.1x authentication keeping the number of VLAN's to a minimum. Thanks Ryan!

Tom

Im glad you understand, because most folks dont consider or overlook and think its ok

to have 16 SSIDs... Just because you can do 16, doesnt mean you should do 16 .. LOL

If your location has multi level floors and location/voip grade on 2.4 GHz you will surely have high utilization if the data rates aren't properly set and cell sizes designed properly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies