Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

802.11 ac Wireless Controller

Hi,

I would like to know which Cisco WLC supports 802.1ac and does 5508 also supports 802.11ac & from which firmware version.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco Wireless Solutions

Cisco Wireless Solutions Software Compatibility Matrix

5508 can support 802.11ac but, most importantly, if you want to use 802.11ac then your 802.11ac APs must be directly-connected to either a stack of 3650, 3850 or a 4500 chassis with Sup8E.  

Hi,Why do they need to

Hi,

Why do they need to connect directly to these switches only? what will happen if I connect to 2960?

and what about other vendors like aruba,aerohive, they are not specifying any particular switches to use for 802.11 ac AP's.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Why do they need to connect

Why do they need to connect directly to these switches only? what will happen if I connect to 2960?

and what about other vendors like aruba,aerohive, they are not specifying any particular switches to use for 802.11 ac AP's.

Think about it:  What speed do you get when your 802.11ac clients, like MAC Book Pro, connects to 802.1ac wave 1 AP?  It's 1.3 Gbps.  

How do you shove 1.3 Gbps traffic down a 1 Gbps link (from AP to switch and from switch up to the WLC)?  

Cisco's answer to 802.11ac is Cisco Unified Access Technology Overview - Converged Access White Paper.  

This is one 802.11ac wave 1 solution no other vendor want to address.  

802.11ac AP's comes with two

802.11ac AP's comes with two gig ports and  wlc has option to configure lag ?

What difference does it make if I connect ac AP to 3650 which also has gig ports only so does 2960.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

802.11ac AP's comes with two

802.11ac AP's comes with two gig ports and  wlc has option to configure lag ?

The 2700 comes with two GigabitEthernet ports but CURRENTLY firmware does NOT support LAG.

What difference does it make if I connect ac AP to 3650 which also has gig ports only so does 2960.

The 3650/3850 has built-in WLC and is geared up for Cisco Unified Access.  When 802.11ac reaches the 3650/3850 from a directly-connected AP, the switch will strip out excess CAPWAP headers and pass the rest as ordinary traffic up the network.  

2960 won't have that luxury. 

At the end of the day, if you want to deploy the 2700 to a 2960/S/X/XR, nothing is going to stop you.  But you'll need to factor in that your link will be your bottleneck.

Are you trying to do next gen

Are you trying to do next gen wifi or unified access?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Hi,next generation wifi

Hi,

next generation wifi.

Thanks.

Thanks for the information.I

Thanks for the information.

I have checked with other vendor team as well even they are using only single port of 1gig.

The 3600 module is supported

The 3600 module is supported in 7.5 code. The 3700 access point is supported in 7.6 code. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies