Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

802.11a 3502I coverage -65 or better square footage in walled office environment

AriMagnet Planner (Predictive Survey) shows to provide -65 RSSI (at 25mW) or better in 5GHz using 3500 Integrated Omni 3.0dBi A (AIR-CAP3502I-x-K9)

that

Every 40 -50 feet you need 1 3500 AP in a walled small/office environment  This equals roughly 1 3502I-A-K9 per 1600 Sq Ft.

Approx 20-25 ft from 3502I  you start to exceed/go higher than -65.

Is this what you are seeing in other 802.11a 5Ghz deployments/predictive surveys for the above coverage requrements? Any rule of thumb you are using for 802.11a 5Ghz walled office?

Everyone's tags (6)
8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

802.11a 3502I coverage -65 or better square footage in walled of

Jason,

I never really used the planner software, but depending on your building material, that seems to be a good number.  Now it also depends on where the AP's are being placed, for example, rooms and hallways or just hallways.  With the 5ghz, you will see more attenuation than you would in the 2.4ghz.  How you really can tell if planner is working okay is to take a 3500 and see how far it propagates in that environment or a similar environment.  Can you attach a sample floor that planner did so we can actually see where the aps are placed?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The top left is open cubicle with walled office surrounding.  3502I with 802.11a 5Ghz at -65 or better is requirement.

Re: 802.11a 3502I coverage -65 or better square footage in walle

Looks like a lot of APs from just looking at the layout. Are you supporting voice also? The open cube area seems lime a lot of APs unless your looking to support high density. Just worried how much 2.4ghz overlap there will be.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

This is 802.11a only, no 802.11b. Plenty of channels no overlap concerns.

This exact layout/floor plan for 802.11a coverage at -65 or better resultsin 1AP per 1349.36 Sq Ft.

You should have problem then.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Silver

That seems about right, most of the time I'm looking for a -67 or better which is around 2100sqft.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I agree.  If this floor will be operating with 802.11a/n in mind, then it's a good layout of the WAPs.

Normally what I would also do has got something to do with capacity.  So the question I would be asking is HOW MANY people are there on this floor.  Take that figure and multiply by a factor of 2.5.  This means that each person have a potential to have 2.5 wireless clients.

Ok, don't get any physical reaction just yet.  Like I said, the layout of the WAPs are of no concern, plus you are also using 802.11a.  Now I am not sure about the cost to run cablings in the US but here in Australia, the "call-out" fee is extremely expensive.

Because of this I tend to "over cable" a floor.  For example, you have about 15 WAPs.  If this was done here, I'd cable up between 25 to 30 data outlets.  This way, if I need to add extra WAPs, it's just as easy as getting a ladder and patching to the switchport. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content