Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.11b > RRM > Coverage settings

I'm coming across situations where a client is seeing unusable, low signal levels. What should happen, as I understand things, is the that LAP should increase it's power outage to compensate, but this isn't happening.

Is this because the "WIRELESS > 802.11b/g/n > 802.11b > RRM > Coverage" setting is too low? The default on our controllers appears to be -80dBm, with a range of -60 to -90.

Can I just up this to, say 65dBm? Is this what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help!

Mal.

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

As long as "Coverage Hall

As long as "Coverage Hall Detection" eanable (band level & wlan level), AP should increase power when they detect clients are in a coverage hall. See the below post for more details.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/17/configuring-coverage-hole-detection-chd/

Increasing this value to something like -65dBm is not recommended as -65dBm is very godd strong signal.Even -75dBm is good enough for a Data client to work.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Rasika has great write up and

Rasika has great write up and makes things easier to understand. 

Keep in mind your min. client count. If you have a lower populated area the AP may not be turning up due to not hit the 3 clients with low RF issues. As well, you can adjust your TPC settings to raise your minimum power level. These are more drastic changes so be cautious with them. 

I would look into why your AP is transmitting so low as well, perhaps you have too many APs in open space and the clients have obstacles?

Very helpfull replies! Thank

Very helpfull replies! Thank you.

The reality here, is that the LAP are failing to up the power level, and I am seeing too low signal coverage. So far, I have been manually upping the power output to level 1 (100%) to fix the problem. Clearly this isn't the right way of doing things.

Most of our problems are due to the LAP being installed within sight of each other, along corridors. Also, in the multi floor Halls, the LAP have been installed on top of each other, no staggering, so the poor LAP on the middle floor can see a LAP above and below it, as well as the LAP either side of it in the corridor.

There seems to be a resistance to reducing the threshold, whyis this? What problems can occur with a lower threshold?

Thank you very much for your help so far, and be assured that any input to our help is most appreciated.

Regards,

Mal.

Mal,Run this command: show ap

Mal,

Run this command: 

show ap auto-rf 802.11b <ap-name>

List your Nearby APs

You can use the WLC Config Analyzer as well to see what the neighbors are and what their adjusted values are.

This will give you an idea of how much changing it might change things. 

Just to be honest, the right way to fix your problem is to do a survey with proposed AP locations and relocate them. Right now you are fighting to work around RRM instead of changing the design so RRM works properly.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content