Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

802.11n speed degradation?

I am wondering about 802.11n degradation and can't find a clear answer.

On a Cisco lightweight infrastructure, I have a mix of clients connecting via 802.11a/b/g/n. I notice it says most clients are connecting with either 802.11a/n or 802.11b/n. I remember that with 802.1b/g that a b client could bring down the speed of a g client.

Is it the same way with 802.11n? If I have a bunch of 802.11n clients and someone connects with 802.11b will it degrade everyone else's connection?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 802.11n speed degradation?

Wow this is funny...

So my two cents... There is no option to just have 802.11n as there is no setting to just allow those clients. This is because 802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11a/g. So the best you can do is not allow 802.11b clients which will allow 802.11a/g/n.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
4 REPLIES
Silver

When you run an AP in Mix mode the link speed decreases as the AP have to furnish the request of both newer 802.11n and 802.11b(old) clients so its always recommend if you can shift the client to newer standard for better speed and performance.

802.11n speed degradation?

Is it by SSID or AP? I can see I'm connected via 802.11n operating at 144Mbps. I can see clients on the same AP as me (different SSID) that are in 802.1b. Yet, I'm still operating at N speeds.

Josh,

Answering your question if there will be performance issue in mixed environment of b/n clients is "Yes, there will be". Your data rate on what you send your packets is still going to be 'n' for 'n' clients but your station will have to wait longer to gain access to transmit - that is where the performance impact will come from.
Now completly disabling your 'b' rates shall be done with care as there may be the distance range issues that the 'b' clients are coming with that don't allow them to operate on higher speeds.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Wow this is funny...

So my two cents... There is no option to just have 802.11n as there is no setting to just allow those clients. This is because 802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11a/g. So the best you can do is not allow 802.11b clients which will allow 802.11a/g/n.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies