Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.11n Vs Ethenent connetion internet Speedtest

Hi All,

I have a 802.11n wirless and fastethernet both connection and 100 Mbps shared internet connection, when i try to check internet speed using ethenent from speedtest.net it show me more the 90Mbps on ethernet interface LAN but when i try same on my wirless 802.11n then i just got 30Mbps is there isome ristrictions on wirless speed , i also checked the speed in LAN using wireless ifile sharing it gives me more then 170Mbps can figure out why my internet speedtest using wireless is less any information please share with me.

Thanks

17 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: 802.11n Vs Ethenent connetion internet Speedtest

In simple terms your wired connection is full duplex & you will get 100Mbps uplink/downlink (sepearte Tx & Rx pair of wire). This bandwidth is not share with any other user & any other connectivity could interfere with that.

Wireless is completely opposite, it is half duplex (cannot tx & rx at the same time) & it is a shared media. Only single device can communicate at a time. So 802.11g/a can give theoratical max of 54Mbps, becaues of half duplex in one direction you would get half of it (27Mbps). In pracatical world if you get ~20Mbps that is a good connection.

In 802.11n to get high throughput by aggregating frames, to do this your SSID should have met following two criteria.

1. WPA2/AES or Open Authentication

2. WMM to be enabled on SSID

With this, if your AP support multiple spacial streams & your wireless client support multiple streams you can get higher throughput as shown in below.

As you can see, in 5GHz, 40MHz channel bonding you can get improved throughput. So make sure your wireless NIC is connecting to network via 5GHz & your controller configured for 40MHz channel bonding.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes *****

Thanks fo your response but i mention at my post that i have 100Mbps shared line connection and i am connected to wireless AP at 802.11n at LAN it is giving me 200Mbps but while speedtest.net on wireless it give me 30Mbps and at Wired At speedtest it giving me 90Mbps. My exact question that my wireless is capable more then 150 Mbps as per my Wireless LAN test but why i am not getting same while on internet it should be same as 90 Mbps..and one more info is my LAN card is Fast ethernet just support 100Mbps

VIP Purple

Hi Zohaib,

If this is the case, your wireless IP range througput get throttled or shaped. What are the IP you get once you connect to wired & wireless, I believe they are in two different network.

You can do a test, by assigning wireless IP onto your wired  NIC & change the wired port vlan to wireless vlan. Let us know what is the speed you get that time when go to speedtest.net.

Are these IP go through a proxy to internet or direct interent ?

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Wired will always be faster... Just the way of the beast.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks Scott,

I know that wired is better but thats is not a answer to my question

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Like what was mentioned, wireless is half duplex and wired is full. If you compare a hub and wireless, then you should see the same results. Wireless is a giant hub.... It's shared media and half duplex. The more wireless users or RF noise the less throughput per user. This doesn't happen with full duplex.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your response. i am the only user connected to Wireless network. i test the speed on my Dell laptop and iphone ipad and android smartphone on speedtest. wireless speed ramain below then 35Mbps

Hall of Fame Super Gold

i try same on my wirless 802.11n then i just got 30Mbps is there isome ristrictions on wirless speed

You left some very crucial information. 

What is the make and model of the wired NIC you are using?

What is the make and model of your wireless client you are using or testing?

I am testing speed on Iphone 5s IPAD Air and one my laptop i check the NIC card it can support 802.11n and speed is also mention in detail is 300Mbps but not getting 300Mbps..

I am also testing on internet speedtest.net on wired speedtest download is 500Mbps and on Wirless it is 35 to 39Mbps

VIP Purple

Hi Zohaib,

Pls post the output of "show client detail " when you are getting this low throughput. This will help us to understand how the connection established & if any modification required for your WLC config.

Also provide us "show advanced 802.11a channel" output of your WLC as well.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

You need to provide us with the Dell NIC model.

Currently, smartphones and tablets are NOT able to push 300 Mbps so testing with your iPad Air is not accurate.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Adding to Leo's post.  What speed you get is based on how many spatial streams your device supports, which goes back to what Rasika first posted.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

right now i have Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n it max speed is 144mbps ....but my real target clients are using iPAD and iphone how i can enhance wireless speed for them.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

but my real target clients are using iPAD and iphone how i can enhance wireless speed for them.

You need to read this article:  Designing 'iPad WLANs' poses new, renewed challenges.  You really can't do any "improvements" to their speed because some smartphones and/or tablets only have ONE antenna (like the new Samsung S4).

Leo this article is very old now day iphone 5s Samsung note3 etc... all have dual band antenna that is not the issue. still looking for solution

Hall of Fame Super Gold

all have dual band antenna that is not the issue

Dual band antenna is not an issue.  The question you should be asking is:  HOW MANY dual band antennas?  Samsung S5, with MARKETING DOCUMENT, shows to be 802.11ac capable.  But HOW can you expect to push 802.11ac with just ONE ANTENNA?

Leo this article is very old now day iphone 5s Samsung note3 

Article may be "old" but still very relevant.  Do you believe iPhone 5C/S or Samsung Note 3 has the "grunt" or CPU power to process full 802.11n (300 to 400 Mbps) of data rates?  How many minutes will a fully charge tablet or smartphone last? 

George, Scott, Steven, Surendra, Rasika, me and a few others have years experienced with wireless and related technologies.  Do you think marketing documentation is more accurate than our technical knowledge?  I seriously doubt.

Sorry Leo i dont want to say that ...you got it in other way i am just searching for any fresh refrence to put a point that it will not support. thanks all of you for your support.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content